1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 1299 Brakes

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by BladeRR8, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Just got a 1299 and after a couple of rides I have to say I'm disappointed with the brakes.

Magazine reviews had suggested the Brembo M50 set up was race bike good so I was expecting good things.

Sadly the stock set up on my zx10r was better admittedly with Brembo SC pads.

I've bled the 1299 Brakes, emery papered the pads in case they were glazed with some improvement but still not what I was hoping for from reading all the rave reviews.

Have other people had similar issues?

I don't think the hardware needs upgrading so thinking of trying different pads.

All advice welocme.

2. Had the same thoughts myself when I first got the bike as the initial bite on my Blade was much stronger. However, when I got out on track the brakes came into there own and I'm able to brake much later and deeper into the corner than my step-bro on his (notoriously wooden-braked) R1M. The initial bite still seems poor on the road but boy they sure knock off speed quick. I haven't tried alternative pads yet but will probably do this over the winter.

3. Been using them for just over a year now and think they're great. They did take a while to get used to as they don't just 'jam on' like the older caliper design do.

When you bled them did you remove the pads and pump the pistons out (nearly) all the way? Stick one pad in between the pistons to prevent the pistons popping out and bleed that way - it gets rid of potential air pockets in and around the rear of the pistons.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I agree that the initial bite is lacking. But...
    Go find a quiet road and practice some emergency stops from 40, 50, 60 then 70 mph or even faster if you dare. There is no lack of stopping power there!

5. Cheers lads.

Might try some different pads. Power is not bad tbh its just not the hitting a brick wall the hype had me believe.

Agree they lack initial bit so might swap pads for SBS RS which I've used before and bang for buck can't be bettered on the road imo.

6. When bled well they do bite in the initial phase - just not as much/hard as say the M4 caliper. This is really useful if you trail brake or ride in the wet.

7. Pads make a hell of a difference. Ran some Brembo race pads in mine last time out. A revelation. Loads more bite and bedded in immediately.

• Like Like x 1
  8. That initial bite feeling is down to the pads suiting or not suiting the temperature they are at.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sound like I need new pads as suspected.

10. I have measured the lever travel at 35mm in the 1299.

My other bike only has 20mm of travel and a much firmer lever but this maybe because it's a none abs bike with an aftermarket Brembo 19mm RCS master cylinder.

How much travel have other people got at the lever on a m50 shot Panigale? Is 35mm typical?

11. Sounds about right. The lever feel is nowhere near the firmness of a well bled non-abs bike, but seems ok when the engine is running and you actually come to use them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cheers Razz

13. You will always get better feel and travel on 19RCS MC

14. What are you Valentino Rossi? Squeeze harder*

* I may not know what I'm talking about so take with a pinch of salt

15. haha not at all but the brakes could be improved imo

16. I agree with above after coming from an 1198. They bit immediately and progressively and gave great feel. I think its the abs on the 1299 making them 'appear' wooly, but you get used to them and they work best when hot and now I think theyre even better than the M40's on the 1198. Which were fucking awesome. Its the initial bite thats missing until theyre really hot, but even so they do work really well when cold as ive found out when I had to slam them on after an enthusiastic exit from my road only to find a tail back round the bend.

The bloody clutch on the 1299 is hard though in traffic. New Oberon on order.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dont want to hijack my own thread but intertested to hear how you find the Oberon

18. I just look on the lhs side of the engine nr the sprocket and there it is.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. I'm running the standard set up at the moment and can't say I want for more. They're superb earth stoppers!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Some of the comments are quite surprising for me as it's a mega mega strong point on the Panigale. You honestly should be feeling like the brakes on a Panigale are night and day above any other bike you have been on, especially older models.

It makes a big difference in initial bite having hot race pads (they dont work well at all when cold; Z04 or the Bendix equivelent are excellent and pay for themselves by lasting three times as long on track) but the initial bite is mostly perception rather then shorter stopping distance. The stock pads are very very good and should stop a Panigale better than anything else out there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information