1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 Lower Radiator Recore

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by TonyC, Dec 26, 2019.

1. The cooling system on the 1299 is pretty poor for road use. I’ve had the bike from new for 4 years and seen the temp rise a few degrees each year. Always tried to keep the fins clear and straight. However, the crud that has built up along the spray line is akin to concrete now.
    Question.....anyone had the rads re cored?
    Hopefully cheaper than a replacement original.

cheers.

2. Grab a tidy one from eBay ?

I’m assuming yours gets all weathered ?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. That’s not bad at all tbh.

rads can be silly money

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks fellas
    Something to consider buying a new replacement for that money. did see an alternative giving 25% more volume on fleabay for £98...but it’s advertised in America and ships from China. Could be a bit shonkey.
    A used one I don’t feel gives me much more benefit over the one I have.
    Still open to the option of re coring it.
    Cheers

5. Strip the radiator off give it a chemical clean. Use some drain clean. Works a treat.

6. Ooo, good idea
    Will give that a go.
    Cheers Spence

7. Literally pour the bottle of it over the rad in a container. It'll start smoking as it burns the crud off. Then start spraying with a hose. Until the rad is submerged. Leave it to soak for ten mins and see th eamount of crap that comes out. We do this after every few rounds racing... that's really only few hundred miles. Makes a difference.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. People been doing for years in the paddock. With no leaks

9. Google is your friend...
    QuickMemo_2019_12_27-10-42-11.jpg

10. Ok, been having a look into cleaning the radiator fins out and got my head around what I’m going to do.
    Read through the workshop pdf.
    Anyone got any tips how to make getting the radiators out as straight forward as possible?

cheers guys & happy new year!

11. Update.
    I took the rads out & gave them a 24 hour soak in soapy water. Rinsed in boiling water dozens of times. The amount of detritus that came out was incredible.
    Followed up with chemical clean....bleach, cilia bang, drain cleaner etc, and removed even more crap.
    Found a product that the HVAC. Guys use to clean coils/condensers. This really helped to remove all but the stones. I then used a scalpel and a credit card cut to shape to push through the fins and straighten out the bent fins.
    Run out today and it’s running 10-15* lower temp. Summer will show the true result.
    Time consuming but well worth doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information