1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 1299 Or 959 Corse

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Dave Coleman, Sep 2, 2018.

1. I have the option to either pick up a couple of year old 1299 or a brand new 959 corse. Has anybody had experience of both bikes and can give me some honest feedback on the pro's and cons for each machine. I am a realist that when it comes to numbers, bigger is better, but which is easier to live with on the road and in the real world. I need to make this decision in the next 48 hours.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

#1 Dave Coleman, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  2. There's no replacement for displacement !! :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Or for a good rider :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Throttle goes both ways. Biggest will mean easier to ride lazily. Smaller will mean far more fun at lower speed and more likely to use the limits on track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. I’ve never once thought the 959 needed more power on the road

But because you don’t ‘need’ something doesn’t mean it isn’t nice to have it!

Saying that - personally I would have a new 959 corse over a used 1299

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IMHO it’s also worth considering a warranty vs no warranty too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. That was a large part of my reasoning

• Like Like x 1
  8. I'd get the 959 if you're looking for a road bike. You'll get it "in the zone" more, but from a conversation with an owner tonight there are delights to be found if you ditch the cat', get it custom mapped (they used BSD) and put a free-flowing pipe on it. I'd been thinking 899 but this has given me 959 food for thought. If you think 959 is too slow for the road then you probably need to have a word with yourself. If you want the effortless extra grunt then that's a different matter but "too slow" is asinine.

*I have ridden a 959 for a day BTW - I found it 80% ace, but a bit woolly. This conversation seemed to confirm that Euro 4 provisions are to blame and that these can be reversed by getting shut of the cat' and mapping the fuelling to be where it needs to be for the rider rather than the regulator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Good friend of mine had exactly the same dilemma.... and we picked up his 959 Corse today! Only a few months old with 260 miles and a heap of Ducati Performance parts. Plus fully venture shielded and like brand new. Bargain price too. He's well chuffed. If I'm honest I've gone from a 180bhp 173kgs bike too the 959 and I'm well chuffed.... not wanting anymore for the road.

10. 1299 cause the 959 exhaust is ugly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 1299 cause the 959 exhaust is ugly.

12. By that measure you might as well get an OW-01 as they're lovely looking :D

13. It’s also a lot, lot, lot, lot, lot

You get the picture

Faster

14. It's not just the engine that separates the 1299 and 959.

Full colour TFT screen, single side swing arm, better forks on the 1299.

Plus if you buy a 959 you only have a 959. Buy a 1299 you have both as you can always stick the 1299 in rain mode and get similar power to a 959.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Well said Mr Lorenzo :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. YouTube has comparison/challenge videos. Funny they always mention how with the master bike you control it, rather than the bigger one it controls you. Also, 899 etc turn better and ride easier even tho a tad heavier, but corner exit and straights and its goodbye 899!!

17. 20180903_185254.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. Thats pretty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. This is not true Blade, rain mode on a 1x99 is absolutely nothing like a 959. A 959 is super sharp and responsive whereas rain mode removes all that to make the bike safe in poor conditions.

It seems like a fundamental big bike / small bike question to me. Would you rather work harder but get more out a 959 at more 'normal' road speeds or would you rather have the crazy big bike that is a bit more comfy and lazy on long journeys but has a barrel load of power when you get going.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information