1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1299 1299s

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by pauly, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Took my new to me, 1299S for a first ride today and tbh I was a bit underwhelmed. Coming from a BMW S1000RR I was a bit surprised the Panigale has less go under 12991.jpg 6k revs. Was I expecting too much?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Surprised but then not, although that doesn’t make sense. The S1000R I had was like a twist and go scooter and would pick up from any Rev workout issue and I’d imagine the more powerful rr would be more so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I had a S1000R as a loan bike when my RR was in for it's annual service. The R is nowhere near the RR for speed. The 1299S looks and sounds the mutts nuts, but it's a bit fluffy under 5k, and out of puff at 11k. I'm wondering if I should have bought a 1198 or a V4.

4. 1198 will run way out of puff by then and it’s a good 30 hp down unless it’s an R.

Alp Ducati’s I’ve owned have been fluffy low down tbh. They need a map.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. BSD said as much, weak mixture at the bottom for emissions, and mixture too rich at the top end.

6. I’ve never had problems with mate on his hp4. It’ll turn quicker. Might lose out on a long linear straight but not by much. I haven’t witnessed fluffiness. My brakes are also way superior. The rr is a very easy bike to ride though. It’s like a turbine. I like the new shape ones. Especially the m sport.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I haven't been on a bike for nearly 2 years, so I was expecting to be mightily impressed. I did get the impression the 1299 is harder to ride at lower speeds.

8. I have full Akra and a rapidbike evo. So mine is ok at low speed. Plus throttle mod helps too. I keep mine in race mode. I had a similar feeling when I got mine, but it was in low engine mode for about a week.

9. It's in race mode/high power. I've never ridden a Ducati before, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

#9 pauly, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  10. check to make sure the DTC and Wheelie control aren't turned up, as it may cause the hesitation/ lack of get up and go in the lower revs

11. Is it French spec? Limited to 100hp:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. It's a function of the bike's design. Big pistons/wide bore and a relatively low mean piston speed. You can't really compare the two.

Plus the transverse four makes twice as many power strokes as the twin for every 720° rotation of the crank (4 stroke cycle).

Improve the mapping/fuelling as described and adapt or go back to fours.

And on that subject, V fours will definitely give you the best of both worlds.

13. Will check this. Seems the first owner bought it as an ornament, and it only did 37 miles in the first 4 years. It's still under 1800 miles, though had a big service by a Ducati dealer last week. Wonder if not being used wasn't a good thing?

#13 pauly, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  14. Supplied new by Riders, so unlikely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I read an interesting article that compared the 1299 and V4. Conclusion was, that although the bigger engine has better torque within it's rev range, it's long gearing hurts it on the road.

16. General rule of thumb with all ducati twins: don’t roll on from under 4k as it will vibe itself to pieces and be laboured compared to an IL4. Not good for big ends either

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Change the gearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 2 teeth on the rear, and will that sprocket fit with the standard length chain?

19. Dunno. Have an R so different gearing to start with I believe.

20. Unlikely I'd be maxing it out in top gear very often, but I'd prefer not to hit the limiter too early.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information