1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 15,000 Mile Service Cost - Really???

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Spinup, May 24, 2017.

1. When I bought my 2012 1200s I asked about service costs as I do a lot of miles on a bike. The stealers said it would be 600-700 for the 15k service (cam belt etc).

I rang them up yesterday as the mileage seems to have rocketed up since disconnecting and connecting the battery..
    they quoted me £900 +

I am fairly good with a torque wrench etc so was wondering if either anyone in devon knows of a good mechanic or whether I could attempt this myself?

2. I suppose you do realise that if you disconnect and reconnect the battery, the odometer display defaults to Kilometers? You can reset it to show Miles through the menu system.

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. I've just been to Ducat Leeds for a 15k quote. Between £800-£1000.

1200s 2014 plate

4. Contact Rich at Louigi Moto near Bristol. One of the best in the country and not too far from you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. I had my 13 plate multis 15,000 mile service here plus two new tyres, never been so shocked at the price of it ( should have asked first i suppose)! After the initial how f*****g much i had to take a seat then bring my flexible friend to the rescue. Certainly made me consider my next bike ....... then i bought another Multi, great bike loads of smiles so the occasional tears will be forgotten soon.

6. About how much would they charge for it do you think?

7. How much labour vs parts is in that? Sounds expensive. Any way removing bodywork in advance can bring it down? :)

8. I dunno - but Louigi Moto is cheaper than a main dealer. Give Rich a ring and ask him. You'll get no BS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Is the 15K service the valve check as well?

Also includes belts etc, if so, I would have thought £750 incl VAT based on what I've paid in the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. I phoned them this aft. He quoted £650-£850 not including valve checks which would be extra.

11. Please note the term "valve checks". If shims need to be changed, the cost escalates again as the head needs to be removed which will also mean new gaskets. IIRC, I had 3 shims changed at the 15,000 mile service and it added about £240 to the bill. Andy

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  12. Ouch!!! Ridiculous price for non main dealer imho never mind main dealer. £200 parts and at least 6 hours labour?!

Not that I know what a good price would be.

13. Greetings from the capital of Devon.
    Oil change is easy of course.
    Belts are more complicated but I did my own with no problems. Take a look at @Exige 's web page - Exact Start - http://www.exactuk.com/ there should be links on there to California Cycleworks videos of how to do it. @Exige will also sell you belts at least as good as oem for much less money and give you a forum discount as well.
    Get your oil and filter from Opie oils in Cornwall, they will also give you a forum discount. I recommend Motul 7100 fully synthetic and a Mahle filter.
    £130 or so all in??

14. Btw before I get hate mail I'm not dissing anyone's work. Louigi has done stuff on mine before and certainly no problems with what he does.

15. Rubbish. The shims can be changed with the heads insitu. The only gaskets that might require changing are the valve cover gaskets.
    Shims have just about doubled in price recently with openers about £16 and closers twenty something. At worst 3 closers at something like £75 and no more than an hour labour and you should have been given a exchange against the shims that came out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mine's done 13,000 miles. I might be tempted to upgrade to a 1299s if the dealer gives me a fantastic deal on part exchange when it comes to it. Only done 700 of those miles myself, but I did get it in October so that's not bad for winter.

17. I've just done the valves on my 848 (due to high costs quoted from various sources) and that uses the same valve setup as the MS and can confirm there is no head removal. I didn't even remove the rad and airbox as many tutorials mentioned. You can pull the rad far enough away for access.

I have put my old belts back on for now and was going to get that part done by a shop. Purely because I am not 100% convinced by the phone apps etc for tension but I might change my mind.

I was quoted 4 hours labour just to check valves on top of belt service, considering they would have had panels off for belts and oil change etc, all I can say is that based on how long it took me that must include a lot of tea breaks !!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. 4hr?! Christ a decent mechanic can have the motor stripped into parts ready for reassembly in that time!!

19. The worst part and the bit that put me off most apart from the general moaning about their job and life in general, was the statement that if my bike is at 17k miles the engine would be knackered and metal particles floating about doing damage so I should have it rebuilt.

20. There really is a load of complete bollox being put out on this thread, as "odd ball" aka Donald Southerland would say "too many negative waves man" especially the previous comment!
    The most difficult part of the 15k service is getting your brain past the mith that the job is a nightmare & it is that mith that the dealers cash in on - along with the amount of time it takes to strip all the plastic off before you can even start on the actual service. Anyone that has an internet connection and is anyway handy with spanners will have no bother what so ever. Belts - check, mark, check & then check again. Valves - measure, write it down (on the diagram of the head that you drew), measure again, check that you wrote it down correctly the first time then measure again - and so on.
    Once finished you will not believe the sense of achievement that you experience- all for about £120 ish in parts & oil. My local Ducati guy did a straight swap with the 4 shims that I needed.
    So, in conclusion, give yourself a bit of credit, buy the parts, take a big deep breath and enjoy. You will wonder what all the fuss was about!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information