1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 900ss Reg/rec Mounting Question

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Hi All
    Creeping ever closer to bolting my 900SS back together (I bought it essentially as a box of bits from a mate, with no notes/photos or much else!).
    I have a question on mounting the regulator/rectifier. The frame mounting points below the headstock have large diameter holes suggesting a rubber grommet is/was used, though I don't have the actual grommets. Presumably the rubber mounting was to protect from vibration, though I note that the Haynes manual suggests that if removing the reg/rec that it be remounted "the rubber washers fitted to early models be replaced with steel washers from later models to improve the heat transfer of the unit".
    Can anyone offer any insights on this please? Since I don't have the grommets anyway, I could go with some flat penny washers either side with nyloc nuts on the back? Although this fits with the improved heat transfer, is there a downside in terms of increased risk of vibration induced failure?
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Cheers
    James

#1 DucatiChappie, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  2. Update: I have now found what I think are the original rubber grommet/washers, in a bag of what I had assumed were fairing fasteners(!).
    If I'm right, they're a rubber "top hat" design with a threaded brass insert. I'm assuming that the "brim" goes forward of the frame mounting holes, and the threaded part on the rear, with the intention that rubber will compress when tightened?
    I've fitted them and I suspect at least one of them might be knackered, with the insert spinning in the rubber. If so, then I'll need replacements anyway, or go with solid mount as above, in which case, I might try a penny washer and nut on the back. Anyone else done that?
    Thanks
    James

#2 DucatiChappie, Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  3. The top hat rubber mounts that you refer to are called wellnuts. Dont buy from Ducati as you can get them online. Ebay.
    I'm not sure exactly how they are mounted as O have a Shindengen on mine and fabricated an aluminium plate with spacers so it gets great airflow around it. There is meant to be an aluminium plate behind the reg/rec. I wouldn't hard mount it, have some kind of isolation between the frame and the unit. And remember to earth it! I forgot and ran the battery flat in the Scottish borders once.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh, yeah, wellnuts... I knew that, ha!! Duh. Makes sense I guess, wasn't clear from the exploded diagram or description, and what I found was very distorted, but yes, you're absolutely right, they're wellnuts. I've seen them for sale on eBay (though I've read threads where people have criticised the eBay items for being harder/less pliable than OEM?). I'll also check Ducati prices, which are surprisingly reasonable for a lot of small items.
    Thanks Desmoquattro :)

5. Good point about earthing too. I'd seen an earth connection on the diagram and will remember to do that.
    Any idea what the small wire bracket and grommet are for?

6. No worries, I use the RAWL ones. Probably as good if not better than OEM.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Routing ones of the cables

8. Agree on the RAWL inserts, the bonding between threaded bush and ‘rubber’ seems to be better long term.

9. The wellnut is good for mechanical isolation but not great for getting a good earth . I recall adding a washer-nut-washer arrangement to the back of my reg, when I did a rebuild years ago, so that the earth was good and tight to the reg body. I tightened the nuts after nipping up the bolts in the wellnuts.

10. The wellnut is good for mechanical isolation but not great for getting a good earth . I recall adding a washer-nut-washer arrangement to the back of my reg, when I did a rebuild years ago, so that the earth was good and tight to the reg body. I tightened the nuts after nipping up the bolts in the wellnuts.

11. Thanks guys, I ordered a pack of 10 RAWL wellnuts off the Bay this morning, will be good for the fairing mounts too.
    Cheers
    James

12. I have a bag of spare ones as they often get chewed up or deformed and there's loads on our bikes.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information