1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1992 900ss Sidestand Switch Query

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by DucatiChappie, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Hi all

Another dumbass question (but we're nearly there, so they should stop soon):

My sidestand switch wire got snapped off the switch at some point during the stripdown/rebuild process (not by me!), but otherwise looks OK. Looking at the wiring arrangement, it's just a single wire soldered into the end of the switch. I thought that a simple fix would be just to carefully drill a small diameter hole into the end of the switch where the stump of wire sits, strip back a bit of insulation off the remaining wire, drop it in and resolder. I've drilled it but before soldering (I'm shit at soldering, and so's my soldering iron) tried to simulate this with the switch and the wire just pressed into the hole and triggering the switch (with the switch body pressed to earth, as it would be if screwed into the mounting), but nothing seems to happen, am I missing something?

Is the switch a deeper and more complex soul than it looks? This is only a warning light on the dash, not a cutout circuit so probably makes no odds either way (unless an MoT failure maybe?), but, y'know, completeness and that. Pressing the end of the wire to the frame causes the light to flash on the dash, so all good there.

Reading Wolfram's thread (v helpful and somewhat epic), it seems that he had the same problem with the snapped wire, but bought a new replacement rather than attempt a repair. I'd rather repair if I can, but will check out the cost of a new one (this rebuild is already proving expensive - I could have had a perfectly nice, properly functioning 900SS for less than I've laid out so far).

No switches on eBay not already attached to sidestands for lots of money that I can see (and it's the same arrangement as was on my 98 M600 as I recall, so I've searched Monster switches too).

Any help appreciated as always.

Cheers

#1 DucatiChappie, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I may have a couple lying around in the workshop. I can check tomorrow.

• Like Like x 2
  3. It is a simple switch, and I too have spent a fortune on mine rather than pay out more initially. You can't put a price on love.....lol

• Like Like x 1
  4. Just had a look around. I have a couple of new ones in stock if you need one.

5. Thanks Neil
    I'll give you a call.
    Cheers
    James

6. Sorry to jump onto this thread...but my side stand switch broke over the weekend (1992 900SS) The plunger and spring simply fell out! Neil...do you still have one of these in stock? If so, I presume I can just call you at CornerSpeed to buy it? Thanks :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information