1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1993 900ss Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by ush1000, Dec 28, 2018.

1. My bike gets very little use over the years, I do regular oil and filter changes and start and run the engine regularly through the year. Oil is leaking from around the oil filter itself, it drips quite freely until the engine is warm then stops, presumably when everything is warm a better seal is formed. This has happened for probably the last 3 oil and filter changes. I have always been careful to smear the new filter seal with oil before fitting and not overtighten the filter as per the manual. Anyone else experience this problem before? Could it be possible the central screw is slightly off centre so the oil filter is not sitting square on the engine block?

2. If you've done 3 filter changes it seems odd? I once hadn't tightened the filter enough and it leaked until warmed up after first ride. Try nipping it up a bit to see if it cures it before ripping the whole engine apart.

3. OEM Ducati filters?

Fit K&N instead.

But also get on your back and look at the seal seat with a torch - I have had instances of a bit of seal breaking off and stuck to the seat.

I also let the engine cool right down before fitting the new filters - I fitted one on a really hot day on a warm engine. All OK until winter and freezing cold.....dripped quite a bit for a couple of days and then squirted when I started the engine.

AL

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ok thanks for replies, yes I use OEM filters. Have just been to my local dealer to pick up new sump nut and washer. They said they have had problems in the past with the filters, they even had this problem on a Scrambler. It is possible the centre spindle is slightly off centre, I will check that. Next time I will use a K&N as suggested.

5. Yep, I've also had this on genuine Ducati filters on my 97 M900.

In contrast to what's been suggested above, I've found that if I give them a nip up when the engine is at full working temperature they don't do it any more.
    Not too tight, still just with my hand, but using a gardening glove because obviously it's hot and the leather gives a little better grip.

Nasher.

• Like Like x 1
  6. When I had my SS serviced last time it leaked oil from the filter so I rang the mechanic and he said he had received a few calls about this and it was a dodgy batch of filters...
    Swapped it out and no prob since...
    Strange to have 3 leaking but I guess possible...

7. I was talking to Nelly at Cornerspeed recently about this, he said use grease on the seal not oil, he’d seen them do this at the Ducati factory.

8. Actually it was an email conversation I just remembered, I’ve copied in Nellys response below, I’m sure he won’t mind

the filter is the correct one. It was superseded this year and I came across this problem also on an old 888. The older bikes use a thicker mounting boss and this will "touch down" if overtightened...
    I raised it with Ducati but I think that's about all that happened. 2 things have found have resulted in us getting no leaks. Firstly, and I've done this for years is to use grease on the rubber, not engine oil. The second and most important is to not over-tighten the filter. It's 11Nm (marked on the filter) and no more. That was Ducati's comeback to me.....
    Cheers
    Neil”

#8 Mark9, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  9. had oil leak on mine when I got it couldn't get the filter off
    it just kept turning thought it had been overtightened
    by previous owner and stripped threads
    turned out to be the filter itself the main body of the filter was turning but the crimp to the main part had failed
    hence the threaded section and seal stayed in place
    and the body turned when trying to undo the filter
    and that was why it was leaking

10. If you own and carry out maintenance/strip downs yourself on a ducati/other brand you should have a torque wrench for these tasks,and yes i will try the grease move.

11. For an oil filter on my Dukes I go hand tight, no need for torque wrench imo. I tend to use vaseline on the seal.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. What I was going to say. Do you have some detritus on the engine casing seat? :thinkingface: I've never had a problem with Ducati filters.

I'm going to change the gear change shaft oil seal on my LC today due to a persistent leak (They all do that sir!) and have been advided by my LC obsessed mate to grease the rear of the rubber seal before installing. :eyes:

13. Update - finally got round to finishing the job - fitted K&N filter, put grease on the seal - so far so good. I found a new OEM filter in the garage and had a close look at the rubber seal. It definitely has an uneven feel to it, there is a high point on one edge of the seal. Just saying........

14. I've had that on a cheap filter that came on the bike. I swore. Lots.

15. I was so glad it wasn't a leak from the main engine cases when I found it lol

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information