1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 1994 - 916 Strada - Mono - S - Confused

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by tricolore, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Looking at various reference books Ducati produced in 1994 the 916 Monoposto (1461 units ) and a 916 S Monoposto ( 199 units )

Both obviously had single seat units but what was the difference between the S or Strada and Standard Monoposto.

Everybody talks about a Strada being the most desirable which I thought all the original 94 916's bikes were or the ones simply with the single seat.

2. The S was, iirc, the SPS variant for the US. The T1 cams were too dirty for US emissions regs so the S was created with BP cams in what was basically a euro SPS chassis. Not sure if the cases and ti rods were carried over though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. No S's in the UK then Neil only Strada's for 1994 ?

4. I believe so, unless they were imported. I have a customer with one that came over from US. Had me scratching my head at first. US vins are quite different! The bike has been mod'd quite a bit so figuring out what's OE and what's not is still ongoing ;)

5. I have a '94 Strada myself, and after much research I found out that there were basically two types that first year. There was the Strada and there was the S version. Both had Monoposto seats , aluminium subframe, two pick ups and the P8 ECU. Both had 114 HP, whereas the later Biposto 916's only did 98 HP. Only difference between the two '94 bikes was the S version having the Ohlins shock, the carbon mudguard and inner fairing. But as production was a mess those years, ( fire in the factory and Italian mentality :) ) , you could for instance end up with a Srada with an Ohlins or with an S with a standard mudguard. Whatever lay in stock those days next to the mechanics would end up on the bikes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazeker.
    In that first year , there was no SP or SPS version. Just the S.

7. That is also what i always heard that the S had an ohlins shock instead of a showa on the strada.
    And that that was the only difference between them.

Henk!!!

8. Hello, I have an early 916 and when I asked the very helpful people at Ducati for some identification they told me :

"following our phone conversation, we would inform you that the bike whose VIN is ZDM916S*001xxx* - as you pointed out - is properly identified as a 916 MONOPOSTO Model Year 1994. This bike was one of the first model built in Varese"

The frame says 916S, and the factory confirm it to be an early 1994 bike, but it was originally registered in Italy. Not sure if this helps or hinders !

Gareth

9. Same here, frame also says 916S and built in Varese. But the only differences those days were the ones I mentioned above. So, one frame and for the S model an Ohlins shock and some cosmetics. No changes in frame or engine.

10. As far as I understand is the 916 S Monoposto a 916SP with just the Strada 114bhp engine. So the carbon parts and Ohlins mounted on there. There are 199 S's made and just a bit over 300 SP's in 1994. A lot of people think there were 199 Strada's made but that's not the case.

11. 1451 '94 strada's i think.
    Still low production number.

Henk!!!

12. [​IMG] is this a 916S 1994 , I was going to buy it for an investment ? But after reading the comments I'm unsure of what it actually is?? It has lots of carbon fibre parts, 1994, si how seat , ohlins suspension , I have the reg engine number 002069 and chassis number is ZDM9165001941 can anyone she's a bit of light on the situation? I don't want to spend silly money thinking it's one of only 199 made ! I can also get the number plate details if that helps . It's stunning bit if kit but was wanting a real value ?? It's do e 19,000 miles cheers

13. In my opinion it's not traceable if it's a S or standard with SP parts. For Strada money it's fine, for SP money...get an SP!

14. Folks don't get hung up on vins that have things like ZDM748Sxxxxxxx or ZDM916Sxxxxxxx. The S in that part of the Vin does not mean it is the S variant of the bike, almost all the standard/strada basic 748/916 models have S in the vin at that location whatever model they are including the very few S versions produced(mine included). Ducati have indicated as much in the reply quoted above. The S actually just means it is of the hypersport/superbike range. Later vin convention puts that S as the fifth element of the vin IIRC

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Sorry to correct you but in 1994 there where 916SP for sure .. I have one with first registration here in Holland in early 1994 ..

16. Yes they where 916 SP’s in 1994 but really limited.
    Might be even only 50 or so.

Henk!!!

17. yes I know its is a rare bike to have .. well I am in the proces of restoring it together with a 916SP from 1996 and a 916 strada 1994 .. all will go up for sale when done, the first one to finish is the 1996 916SP with 955 engine

18. Yes, I made a mistake, I was wrong,

Do Not Sell My Personal Information