1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1999 996 Biposto Restoration

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by gothicsera, Aug 16, 2017.

1. This is a project I'm doing for a friend.

A 996 that has been sat in his garden for a few years under a tarp and is in a pretty sorry state now. He's asked me to do a full rebuild/resto on it - he's already had the fairing repainted in the original red. The rest is going to need completely stripping down and a lot of new parts.

It as 4,600 original miles on it. It even still has the original factory fitted tyres on it (date code is 1999) :astonished: wouldn't want to ride on those...

I'll be adding pictures to this google album as I go, and I'll be asking a few questions here too I am sure.

https://goo.gl/photos/6Twx8UrPegoddBiw5

My first question is does anyone know the correct paint codes for the frame, engine and wheels? I've found this but there are a number of different colours very close...
    http://www.ducatimotor.it/articoli/setupcolori.htm

The frame looks like it might be PPG 0011 - Metallic Grey, but the wheels are one of the darker shades?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Good luck with the rebuild, Ive just had a look at the pictures and what a state to let a bike get into.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I know, real shame. It will be a lot of work, but it'll be good as new soon :)

Thanks, I'll get in touch with them

4. Wow, you're going to be busy! Are you planning to get it 100% original? Just asking as I think the front forks maybe off a later model?
    Anyway, best of luck! :upyeah:

5. I'll be honest and don't know a whole lot about them - I've done a lot of different bikes but this is the first Ducati... As far as I know it's all original, except the Termigoni exhaust. Could be wrong though!

I will be getting some replacement forks as the ones on there can't be refinished, they are too far gone.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agree with Birdie there.

Great project that and good satisfaction when finished.

7. Good luck with this dude, will be keeping an eye on it.

8. Yep, sure is a state :( Should be nice when it's done and it can be used again :)

Dudette ;):p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Done a few more bits this afternoon - drained the coolant, removed the radiator. Removed all of the wiring harnesses and the front lights/instrument cluster.

A few more little bits to remove and then I will look at removing the engine from the frame.

Added more photos to the album here: https://goo.gl/photos/6Twx8UrPegoddBiw5

• Like Like x 1
  10. Get loads of penetrating oil around the swing arm bushes and be prepared for a lot of thumping and swearing, removing the swing arm bolt can take days.
    Good luck.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thanks.... will do!

12. Shouldnt you be shopping for shoes or something equally girly.;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  13. Cheeky...

I have enough shoes and clothes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Now there's a bike that could of used some ACF-50 earlier on... Good luck with the build! I like to work on bikes because there's usually less rust, but this has really had some moisture under the tarp. Probably all electrical connections need to be gone through in detail, as they fail/corrode even with Ducs in good condition :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Looking forward to seeing this progress

16. and to much time on your hands taking the rebuild on.
    Get Ohlins forks for it.
    Good luck, can't wait to see pics when restored.

17. Yeah.... something like that.

Compared to the last resto I did this is a walk in the park... :astonished::joy:

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information