1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st Gen Diavel, Fly By Wire Throttle Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Android853sp, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Tearing out what little hair I have left. The bike has had new throttle cables fitted, the TPS terminals cleaned and the TPS/APS synchronised and operated through the factory diagnostic kit. No faults and no problems flagged. Get it home, the bike starts, ticks over and revs freely through the rev range without missing a beat. Try and ride it and the ebod lights up followed by a red square with the error message ‘Accelerator position’. The bike immediately drops to tick over and the throttle disengages and does nothing. Switch the bike off and then back on and the error message has gone, no ebod light, the bike starts, ticks over and revs freely. Ride off and the fault cycle repeats. I think that there is a speed element as on the third attempt, I kept the speed down to about 10mph and nothing happened but as soon as I hit about 15 maybe 20mph, the error message returned but it wasn’t until I closed the throttle, the bike defaulted to tick over. Can anyone make any sense of this ? TIA, Andy

2. Accelerator Position =TPS
    Has the sensor become unplugged ?

3. As I understand it, the 1st Gen Diavel has a “simple” (ha, ha) fly by wire throttle that has an Acceleration Position Sensor that detects throttle opening aggression AND a Throttle Position Sensor which feeds back to the the actual position of the butterfly to the ECU. The APS is mechanically operated by 2 throttle cables, 1 to open and 1 to close. The throttle body has been serviced and fettled and declared fit and healthy by my dealer. The engine seems to want to do everything it should, so long as the bike isn’t moving faster than 15/20mph. Andy

4. If it were a car I would be looking at speed sensor inputs as with ride by wire one false input or signal intermittent/out of tolerance then shut down to tick over as safety default for obvious reasons. 12 mph is when speed sensor data becomes live on most vehicles and open to inputs and out of closed loop. on most modern can protocols. If it doesn’t see what it wants then tad-a.
    Earlier kwp 2000 protocols would over ride.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. And the answer is ....... throttle butterfly stepper motor plastic gears gummed up. TPS is the telling the ecu where the butterfly is which the ecu sees as wrong so goes into tilt mode. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information