1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Stroke Engine Oil, Not The Pre-mix

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bonkers the Dog, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Hi,

Just bought a KX65 for my daughter.

Can I use normal synthetic/semi-syn in the engine that I use in my other bikes?

If not can anybody recommend a good brand to replace the old oil when I get round to servicing it?

Cheers Peeps,

BTD

2. Will it not need Transmission Oil?

3. I think that's what he's asking..

4. 500ml of 10W40 in the gearbox. Needs to be compatible with wet clutch. I'm sure 20/50 or 15/40 etc won't do any harm.

5. Yes, a stroker requires transmission oil in the gearbox. Much thinner than anything 4 stroke related etc.

When I rode in twin shock trials I used silkolene transmission oil.

And get good quality 2 stroke oil too, it burns cleaner and doesn't foul the plugs as much.

Great days running stinkwheels

6. This is another of those oil questions that divides opinion, and people (including me) can normally only present one side.
    But one definite is that the job the oil in there needs to do is a little different to what a standard road bike oil was designed to do.
    Constant full throttle clutch-less changes (without a qs) and fanning the clutch out of slow turns several times a lap, and oil with no pressurised path to take or filtration system to name a few.
    Whatever you decide to use, if the bike is being used really hard, main advice is buy the best you can and change it often (10 hours running is not near enough unless just pottering around)
    I always used a gearbox specific oil with EP performance in the kids MX bikes and monitored any rounding of the gear dogs, and never saw any trace of damage, and never lost a finish to a burned out clutch (YZ85, KTM85, KTM125) Silkolene light gear oil was our choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1

7. https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/403918-kx-65-gear-oil/

8. Cheers folks, yes I was referring to tranny oil (no not the rub on kind!).

I doubt my wee one. who is only about to turn 10, will be raggin it around for some time as this is her first petrol bike; its her first step up from her electric Kuberg twist and go. She needs to master the basics of the clutch first in the training paddock before she gets to go out full throttle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. You can always restrict the throttle turning it up as you feel appropriate thereby preventing a proper good ragging session. :confused:

10. Yes, that has been suggested, I just need to figure out how to do it as the KX85 seems to be a bit of a ripper!

11. Could you not put a stopper on top of the carb slide so as to prevent the slide reaching maximum lift?

12. I can’t say specifically for a kx65 but typically a throttle movement restrictor isn’t a good way to restrict a full race 2 stroke engine. It will be more or less unrideable. A restricting washer in the exhaust header is a more simple mod and allows the bike to run through the normal rev range but produce a lot less power.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information