1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

200/55 Vs 200/60 On A 1299

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by chrisb1299, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Hi all,

Will need a new set of tyres soon, currently on Pirelli Rosso 3 and planning to change to the Rosso Corsa 2 as seems to be the one that will suit me best (fast road, odd track, most weather conditions).

Something that's popped up a couple of times when I've been researching is about switching from the stock 200/55 to a 200/60. I'm wondering if anyone has experience of what this change affects in terms of characteristics, is it worth it and any potential fitment issues? I understand about the TC reset programme so not too worried about that side of things.

Any advice appreciated, cheers!

2. Newbie 1299 question: can you recalibrate the 1299 DTC to allow for the increased profile, is it easy?

Generalising, taller tyre means more side grip and faster turn in. Note it can add seat height

3. 1299 yes you can recalibrate the TC, 1199 no, you would need to adjust the TC setting

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Yes you can through the menu, think it's literally called tyre calibration and requires you to ride between something like 28-32mph for a certain distance while it measures. You obviously have to be stationary to select but then it doesn't take too long.

Think I'm OK on seat height but have also just fitted the DP race seat which is taller so guess don't want to go too far. Obviously haven't had a chance to test it yet but did get a 20 min ride on it this morning to take it to get PPF fitted and felt good. Not sure that I'm necessarily after faster turn in, but more grip is more grip!

5. Some find it tips in a bit quick, but tbh I have only used track rubber 200/60 (or similar) and not road. I have used 190/55 and 190/60 on same bike and didn't find huge difference tbh, with supercorsas (one road one track compound). And it was harder to get the edge ;)

As they are different tyres anyway you may/probably find a difference anyway regardless of changing profile. And who doesn't like a big fat tyre ;)

6. is 200/60 even a thing? I thought the new thing was that they had all gone to 200/55 from 200/50...

I just checked the website and they list a 200/60 for fitment on the 1299, that's pirelli, so yeah guess you just run the calibration tool. I know someone on here had an issue when the wheel was really far forwards in the eccentric adjuster so worth considering if yours is set with a new chain quite short.

7. Years ago I did some endurance racing on an R1 fitted with Dunlop NTEC slicks, the rear was something like 195/65! I can't recall what the front was but the rear only just missed the swingarm at it's peak, it turned in really fast, but you could certainly carry some corner speed and get on the gas pretty early with the rear footprint.

8. If you are intent on riding in the wet, the Rosso Corsa III has better wet grip than the Corsa II. I went from a 195/55 on the 1098R to a 200/60 on the Panigale V4. Okay, 10 years separating the two bikes and a big difference in chassis design but comparing the two, the 1098R might as well have been a 70’ canal boat, the V4 turned in soooo much quicker. Andy

9. Bridgestone V02 200 slicks are 200/655. They fit no problem

10. I've used a Rosso 3 on a Daytona and even on that bike they 'walk' around a lot, so just be aware of that. I've ridden rosso 2's in biblical rain and they have been absolutely fine, they come OEM on the V2 and no issues, a really good compromise.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tessy has always run them if he can get them. Loves them. I couldn’t get on with how much they move about.

12. They seem to have a really odd fitting profile, ie same size fits 600s and 1000s!

13. Isn’t that the profile introduced to the BSB last season that some riders struggled with ? Andy

14. Steeper profile = It'll tip in quicker and you'll have a larger lean angle contact patch.

15. I'm not sure of the BSB affiliation, but that profile has been available to the public since '18 or earlier, as several of my mates used to run the bridgestone rear with the pirelli SC? fronts due to its longer life.

16. No, it’s a new wide and taller front tyre I believe causing chatter, it’s a compound thing in the rear they don’t like

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Some of the dunlop slick 200s are 70 profile.

18. you wouldn't stick a 200 on a 5.5 600 rim, yet the V02 seem to only be one size and does both. May be out of touch, not been looking at track rubber for couple of years really, but the size looks a bit odd

For slick they seem to do a good job tho, and I run BStones on the road no problem in the past.

19. I ran bridgestone 200 Vo2’s on my 600 which was usually fitted with a 180. No problems CA548EA9-0005-44A7-B722-D06EF87C0E2F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  20. Exactly. Where I can’t imagine you try and fit a 200/60 Dunlop or Pirelli

Do Not Sell My Personal Information