1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 2000 748r - From Disaster To Full Rebuild

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by TelRobinson, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hi guys,

On the way to work this morning, I pulled away from the lights and hear a metallic ‘ping’ noise and the bike died.
    Got it recovered home, took a look over her and one of the horizontal cam belt tensioner bolts has sheared off Absolutely wounded when I saw the tensioner off.

The bike had run faultless until the bolt shearing today :-(

With costs to repair being beyond what I’ve got down the back of the sofa, I’m looking at seeing the best way to go forward, breaking or selling complete?

The bike is a 2000 748R with 43k on the clock

- 3 Owners (incl me)
    Private plate M23 DUC
    Stamped Ducati service booklet up to 18759
    All Ducati handbooks present
    V5C
    Data Tagged
    Original under Seat tool kit
    Original Ducati rear paddock stand
    Renthal medium compound grips
    Carbon Fibre tank guard
    Carbon King rear hugger
    ProBolt screen bolts
    Ohlins rear shock absorber
    New standard battery 2018
    New belts July 2018
    New upper air box seal November 2018
    All fluids and filters changed July 2018
    New plugs July 2018
    New QR fuel line fittings November 2018
    2 x New Ducati keys (2 x cut ones included)
    MOT until July 2019
    New Conti Attack 3’s - covered 145 miles

Any help with what I should expect for the complete bike and in parts would be great.

Thanks in advance guys

54036952-B660-4082-B104-B9F959EB2D74.jpeg

415C69AE-DABD-493F-837F-1844522F468D.jpeg

9BA8976A-8D87-4D03-89F6-9595D930AE6C.jpeg

DEA1620C-E9CF-44E9-93C8-75BF7C9FC470.jpeg

2. Personally I would keep digging down the back of the sofa and hang on to it until you find enough change. Also, get the bus. The miles you are putting on it are murdering the re-sale value.
    If you do decide to sell it though, please drop me a line!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hopefully with it being at low revs, the damage will be much less than could have happened on a run.

Personally, I'd keep it and repair it. Whatever you do, good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bad luck, I've never seen or heard of such a failure, I would be looking at a repair before breaking it up, if you have to sell, then I hope you sell in one piece so someone else can rebuild her.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
  5. Did the bearing seize causing the snapped bolt?

6. Tel, no reason to break it. Give Rich Llewellyn at Louigi Moto a call to see if he can assist with good advice/help on a repair and possible replacement parts. Remember the rest of the bike is still as good as it was before the tensioner failed. Also have you had a look to see exactly what has happened to the valves and piston, you may be pleasantly surprised?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sorry to here your news :( good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I would at least take the head off and see if there is any damage.
    I had a cam bearing sieze and shred a belt.
    When i finally got round to stripping it i found no damage inside whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Sorry to hear the news but I agree with those above. Strip it down to see what, if anything has happened inside, and hang on to it until you can rebuild it. It’ll be worth it in the long run. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. @TelRobinson It took me a long time to acquire one, don't make a quick decision to get rid of it. I just posted on this forum that I had received the 2000 748R workshop manual. If you need it I am happy to scan relevant pages and message you a link so that you can investigate damage yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. It's fucked, self it as fast as possible. ...... cash waiting. ....

• Like Like x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. All ready pm'd :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Shame that but respect in racking them miles up on it, most of these are locked going out for a razz once in a blue moon , as you know your own bike I’d be inclined just to mothball it and do when you feel like doing it but if you do decide to sell let us know I’d be interested it complete as a project

14. You might be up for just a couple of valves and a clean up. If you are mechanically handy or know someone who is I would drop the engine and take off the affected head and inspect the damage.I'd keep it. Selling the bike as it is now will cost you a lot. It's all very fixable.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Good luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Don't forget what I said.
    Cash n the bank and no more worries.
    Quick question, do you also have a red tank and panels?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. I might know of a engine it’s from a earlier 748 with 7k on it apparently. Don’t know the seller just seen it listed. Don’t part it out wayyyyyy to good for parts

• Like Like x 1
  18. You are upset, who wouldn't be? I had a similar moment back in 2001 and regretted selling for 17 years until I finally got another one last year.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Really sorry to hear of your misfortune fella :(

As mentioned above, it's got to be worth getting your hands dirty and investigating further yourself before making any rash decisions on the matter. There is an unbelievable amount of knowledge on here to help talk you through anything your not too sure on and also give unbiased opinions on the damage internally if you get good photos posted once your in there.

How about starting a specific thread for the work on it and you'll have all of the information and advice in one place? I'm sure others whom do a bit of home spannering will benefit from the thread in the future too :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information