1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2001 996 Help

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Ians16, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Hi all, searched not only this forum but everything i could. I was riding along and the bike died (i was giving it some), as in just no power, there was no bang/funny noises, no wheel lock, no fluid spill etc. I have no idea what's wrong..

She's cranking and everything sounds normal, she just won't fire up.

Things i've checked:
    Relays under seat (swapped)
    Ecu EEPROM (swapped back to stock from FIM and reconnected other injectors)
    Spark plugs fire
    Injectors spray (you can see the fuel in the throttle bodies)
    Throttle body butterfly open valves ok
    Fuel pump primes
    No leaks in fuel hoses or quick disconnects
    Cranks sensor doesn't look worn
    Battery is good
    All fuses seem ok
    Compression seems good (hand over exhaust you can feel it turning over but haven't got a compression tester)
    All other electrics work
    Starter motor turns over fine
    Belts haven't slipped (dots line up)
    All electrical cables seem ok visually

I'm running out of ideas here.. being in the Isle of Wight it's not a case of dropping it easily to a ducati dealer.

Only other thing is it's fitted with kick stand override which ends up in a wire connector bridge by the ECU. If i disconnect it the fuel pump doesn't prime so i don't think it's that?!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

2. can see your dilemma, difficult one. From all you've listed it doesn't make sense at the moment. When you say spark plugs fire, how strong is the spark? I think I would be checking this first to see if intermittent or weak. Meanwhile it's worth checking/unplugging all ignition related connectors to look for light corrosion or overheating if you haven't done it already. Even the act of unplugging and plugging back in might help. Also fuses/fuse base connections and battery lead connections. Post any other unusual symptoms you can think of on here for all to see.

3. Ok, so first of all do you have combustion?

When you crank can you hear it try to ignite or does it just crank?

Also a kick stand bypass... might be worth chasing the circuit on a wiring diagram and trying to put everything back to stock and then eliminate issues one by one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hi all, took some videos. Thanks for your suggestions already, much appreciated

Wont start

Injectors firing

Exhaust thumping

Sparking

5. Any chance you can describe where this is please?

• Lock Thread Lock Thread x 1
  6. if you got spark and fuel only thing left is compression.

sound like you have no compression on you video mate

7. Just posted a video, i think the spark and ignition connections are ok, although i'm no mechanic so...

8. I'm struggling to see how the bypass is connected to be honest. There's a connector by the kickstand disconnected and one by the ECU but i'm not seeing anywhere to plug them in

9. So engine possibly cooked? Not what i want to hear but better than not knowing i suppose

10. have you got a compression tester??

11. thanks Ian, vids really helped. Certainly nothing wrong with that spark at plug it would appear and I see what you mean about adequate fuel. Did you just fill up with fuel/are you happy fuel is ok? As said, you need to get hold of a compression tester to confirm that you have got adequate compression just to cross it off the list. I'm not sure myself as it happened so suddenly and rare/almost impossible to have both cylinders go down at the same time. Related to this, how was it running just before cutting out? any early signs of engine labouring or not pulling as well just beforehand? Any history of smoke from exhaust or particularly more recently:- on start-up or on overrun when engine good and hot. How is oil consumption in the past and what colour are spark plugs/do they differ appearance-wise between horizontal and vertical.

#12 Chris, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. No although i can borrow one. You can't hear it in the video but the exhausts thud when you turn it over and theres pressure from the exhausts. As i said above, i'm no mechanic but doesn't this mean compression? Thanks for your help by the way :)

13. I'll borrow a compression tester tomorrow and see if that tells me anything. What sort of reading should i be looking for?

14. 150 psi plus but will run at less than this plus test is a little crude. Don't forget to keep the throttle wide open during cranking.

15. Thanks.. fingers crossed

16. Block the spark plug tunnel up with your knuckle. If it gets pushed away when you turn the engine over there is enough compression to run. Crude but quick.

17. As chris has already said I can't see it being the compression, it wouldn't be running fine one minute and then loose compression on both cylinders enough for it to not run the next minute.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. My money's on the 'kick stand override' if, as I assume, this is an after production safety cut out device. As you say the bike just died. Perhaps there’s a loose connection in that circuit which caused the cut out whilst riding but is now absolutely fine hence the results of your elimination tests. I’d be gong over that circuit with a fine tooth comb or even removing it altogether.

19. Might not be exactly the same but my 2002 ST4 side stand cut out is just a relay operated by the switch at the stand, I linked out the really as that is what goes wrong, however, when you turned on the ignition the fuel pump primed which suggests the side stand cut out is not the problem (depends on what wiring has been changed to defeat it though)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information