1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale 2001 996s For Sale

Discussion in 'Ducati Bikes For Sale' started by Pfk, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For sale my 996s 2001 model, Öhlins rear shock Marchesini wheels, etc.

I’ve owned it for the past 3.5 yrs

HPI Clear

Had the big Desmo service carried out 800 miles ago at ProTwins, receipt for over £1000

There’s a folder thick of servicing, receipts and MOTs for the bike, “I only ever buy bikes that have a history of being properly looked after”.

Lots of carbon extras

Full service history

New battery

Bike wants for nothing

Doesn’t get used anymore only 73 miles since last MOT.

No current MOT but will put a new one on for the buyer

Bike located in Surrey

Mileage 21k

£6250.00

8D4AC485-DBBB-46EC-9A6B-30C82DAC5F12.jpeg

78E1125B-6A82-477B-95BC-D63B233173AB.jpeg

4B425C06-F214-4A27-829E-87C189F26BFA.jpeg

5152BD73-4347-494A-8308-5FCE112F1312.jpeg

213DC923-A849-429E-B82B-46B8DB1B3131.jpeg

E083C5CA-351A-4554-8619-C1D383A0E48B.jpeg

3079710D-318E-4010-95BE-54070F01CF57.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  2. That looks familiar in the details - does the reg have 177 in it? If so it's my old one :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lot of bike for the £. GLWS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes that’s the one.

It’s been a good bike, not had any problems with it at all, and they recon Ducati’s are un reliable :bucktooth:.

It’s not getting used and could do with the room in the garage now

5. Thanks Cream,

Bit of a reluctant sale, but space the space would be nice, seeing as the Mrs won’t let it come and live in the house :weary_face:

6. Feel exactly the same with my base 996. Don't use, no space but it seems like "money in the bank" and I've kinda promised it to my 9yr old.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Definitely better than money in the bank !

It was a moment of madness yesterday when I had a melt down that I couldn’t move in the garage o_O, that’s why the pictures got taken, if it goes it goes.

It did have full ohlins, mono seat and termis on it, but decided to put back to standard to make the bike cheaper

8. Lovely bike:upyeah:Invest in the toys and enjoy but remember Everybody needs hard cash in the bank for those emergency events in life putting all your eggs in one basket ie motorcycle/classic car investments then you are relying on a fast sale and the market place and that's when you can get burned by the buyers.Hard cash in the bank is a great tool to have in my opinion regardless of the interest rates.

#8 XH558, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. Totally agree, luckily have both bases covered. :) :upyeah:

Although saying that never seem to find a good deal on a bike when I’ve got the cash only when I haven’t “Sod’s law eh”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. You’re not alone. No sniffs on mine at 2k under forecourt price, even with some extras, FSH etc...yet when I’m buying everyone (899 owners particularly) think their bikes are worth 10% less than new :confused:o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. OP - just to add a bit of colour to this bike as it turns out it is my old one!

I owned this bike between 2012 and 2014. I bought the bike pretty cheap, but mostly mechanically sound off a guy who had not looked after it cosmetically and had it a few years. The idea was a usable Ducati with the benefits of the 996S engine (little known, it is a bitsa of SPS bits and 996 bits with FI and ECU bespoke to the 996S with 500rpm higher red line), which make them a fair bit quicker than the standard 996.

As with my usual OCD, I ended up going right through the bike, replacing a lot of parts and stripping it back to just engine in frame. I went through the electrics and some bearings replaced along with lots of bits like replacing headlights, foam surround, nose cone, adding carbon bits etc. I also replaced every consumable, did the belts and flushed everything - basically a cosmetic and light mechanical restoration - everything but desmo valve clearances as they hurt my brain. I think most of the bills were in the history for parts. I also sourced a genuine Ducati mono seat.

At the end, it looked like this :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I struggled quite a bit with the riding position and my neck. After having a go on an 1198 which felt like a tourer compared to 996, I decided to trade it in, in 2014 at P&H Crawley for one of the very last low mileage 1198 models, as I didn't like the 1199 Panigale. Although the 1198 was a good price and came with loads of extras, I still think the £3k I got (including leaving termis and single seat, along with original bits) was a silly price to accept. At the time, it did need belts, a desmo valve service and had an oil leak, so I guess ok... I guess! Still, I wish now I had just put it in the back of the garage and forgotten about it, but I already had a 4k mile from new GSXR750 SRAD, an R1, a ZZR1400, some scooters and then the 1198 incoming. Excitement about the 1198 got the better of me and I thought - get it gone!

BTW - it's first owner was Mike Doble of Dobles Honda :)

GLWS!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Thanks for the history lesson @3DP interesting that it was 1st owned by Mike from Dobles.

It looked pretty much the same “as your pics” when I bought it, I ended up adding Öhlins forks, steering damper and a few other cosmetic bits.

I’ve put it back to standard and just trying to recoup my outlay on the bike, not really motivated to sell and like you will probably regret selling if it goes.

She’s been a good bike with no problems at all, I had the full desmo service when I bought it just to be on the safe side and it’s run like clockwork :):upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  13. I think I had the original bill of sale and Mike Doble was also written in the front of the service/warranty book.

She ran very well when I had her. I only did a couple of thousand miles in the time I had the bike and felt every bit as fast as my SRAD and ZX7R (much lightened and modded with 119rwhp). Used no oil either and fuelled well. I refurbished the brakes and replaced the reservoirs, but didn't rebuild the suspension as it felt ok as was.

I'm really glad it's still around and in fine fettle. When I first got the low P&H offer, I considered breaking the bike but luckily didn't have the heart to do it!!

For any would be buyers, this was an on-board I did prior to the makeover and getting everything as nice as I could. Had about 18k miles on at the time and was a joy to ride. The 996S engine is a peach in the range I think.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Just the job! Thanks for the ride.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. What a cracking vid, love the disclaimer at the end too :p

This seems to have turned from a for sale post to a reunion :upyeah:

Your not making a good job of convincing me to sell now :bucktooth:

Thanks for the post !!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Indeed a re-union... Obviously everything in disclaimer is absolutely 100% true.... KPH speedo with a 60 tooth rear sprocket :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. lovely vid - has the effect of making me want to go out for a ride.
    ..and when you went to upload it to Youtube there was a fault with the transfer/playback speed :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. We kinda all subscribe to the bank of Italia on this forum,

with @Exige the biggest shareholder me thinks :thinkingface:

19. Thats a lovely bike, really got me thinking,shame i just had spinal neck surgery!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information