1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 Multistrada

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by terry carpenter, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Hi all am new to the site.
    I had a Multistrada many years ago when they were first introduced and loved it but after about 8 months i binned it due to my crappy riding. Any way a couple of years back i bought another one and love it but am not able to climb aboard as easy as i thought, getting on a bit now!
    So i thought best to sell it and that's where my problem lies, I've had a brand new chain and sprockets fitted but am worried about the belts these were renewed in 2017 and it has hardly done any miles since, but am i right in saying that they deteriorate regardless of use and should be changed every 2 years?
    Also there is an issue with the mileage as I think sometime in it's life it has had the headset replaced so the mileage went back to zero! I managed to locate one of the previous owners and wrote to him asking him if he knew why, he couldn't help as it happened before he owned the bike.
    See below for a copy of his reply:-
    Hello terry, I recived your letter today mate regarding the ducati multistrada. That was the black one yes? Terry im baffled mate as to why the milage is as it is. I bought the bike in early 2012 then unfortunately had to sell it late 2012 after a major accident which has unfortunately left me disabled and unable to ride now. I can see from the dates you provided that are between 2008 and 2010 there is definatley something not quite right. This was between 2 and 4 years before my time as owner and as such im baffled my friend. Im sure its nothing untoward, maybe a duff dash unit that was replaced??????? It was a nice bike and I never even looked at previous mot’s, in fact I cant remember if I got any paperwork with the bike. Im sorry I cant help you terry but hope you get this sorted.
    Any help or ideas welcome, it's a cracking bike and does not look like it has done many hard miles.

IMG-0272.JPG

IMG-0249.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Two points

The belt thing, if it is going for sale it is unlikely you will pay for a belt service so I would in the description point out whilst the belts were changed in 2017 there has only been (list the miles) done since

The mileage, these were known for the clocks fecking up and many had the clocks swapped by dealers under warranty. If you have a service book it may mention it in there.

Using the mot history dvla site https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status and putting your registration in, it seems in 2008 the bike had 6,338 miles on but a year later for the 2009 mot, it had just 25 miles on it

It is puzzling that the previous owner would not know the mileage change so close to his ownership change but it's possible.

Quick thought, did you/have you hpi'd it?

#2 noobie, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Noobie
    Many thanks for your reply, very helpful i'll have another go at selling it. Cheers TC

4. Noobie
    Thanks for your reply appreciate any help. I'll have another go at selling it.
    Cheers TC

5. Will you be advertising it here on the forum?
    You’ll need to be a subscriber in order to do so.

6. @chizel is going to love the paintwork colours:upyeah:welcome aboard.:cool:

7. Love that Roxy album on your title, got all their stuff

• Like Like x 2
  8. thought I recognized it. that's where I have seen it before. doh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. :upyeah:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. On the odd occasion i'll lean or bend my ear in their direction.:upyeah:

11. Yeh me to now days ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thread moved and why don't you introduce yourself properly in the newbies section too?

Ps If you want to sell something on the forum you'll have to subscribe as previously mentioned :)

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/pages/Supporter/

13. neat pillion seat cover :upyeah:

14. Belts are fairly inexpensive to change, and an easy DIY task, so could be worth considering doing that. It's cheap insurance. They'd probably be ok, but if sat for a long time it's possible the rubber will take a set. If you're concerned about that but don't want to change them you could always take the belt covers off, take the plugs out, put the bike in gear, and turn the engine over by rotating the rear wheel. This is easiest if the bike has a centre stand.

The clocks are notoriously prone to moisture ingress, so I'm not at all surprised they've been changed.

If you're selling it I'd potentially be interested....

15. Off topic apologies, but I'm the same. Saw them at B'ham Bingley Hall in mid '70s, Siren Tour, right at the front, managed to grab Jerry Halls hand (she was well fit back then!). Happy days.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information