1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 -- 999r -- Need Help To Verify 'r' Spec Before Buying!

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Jim1300, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Hello Ducati riders!

I want in on your club:)) But I'm looking to use your knowledge to make the right choice.
    There is a 2005 Ducati 999R for sale. I want it.
    (last year a 999S slipped trough my fingers:( this is payback!)
    How do I make CERTAIN that it is in fact an 'R' spec model?

What I (think I) know:

- 2005 999R has '999' in the engine Serial Number, the 'S' has '998'

- Magnesium valve covers & headlight assy/holder

Am I correct that the 2005 'R' model DID NOT come with a plaque on the triple clamp?

I will go and see the bike next week as the seller is away on vacation, can you please let me know anything I should look for to make sure that it is a 999R and not a 999S with 'R' fairings or stock motor? Or franken999... Obviously it has the Ohlins everything & radial Brembos.
    I will take frame & engine SN and verify with Ducati dealer.

Also, it has 16000km, anything specific to look at? Electrics around the battery box I have heard, and what do you reckon one should pay for such a bike?

Thank you very much for your help. I dream of owning a 999R.

Cheers,

2. The 999r has sand cast engine cases, forged wheels "thinner spokes", carbon fairing, different tank support over the "S" model and all have the top yoke limited edition plaque.

I have an S and a R and both have 999 in the engine number.

Get the VIN and engine numbers and check with ducati direct.

Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  3. What he said and thread moved :)

4. #4 900streetfighter, Aug 13, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  5. You need to post a link with pictures.
    Value is dependant on a lot of things:
    No of owners
    Service history
    Proof of mileage
    Spec / Exhausts etc
    Condition of course
    It should have a plaque in a red box showing build month / year and Frame and Engine numbers (most wouldn't buy without this)
    Came with several extra's too.

6. Thank you all for your answers gents.
    1 more question: the 'facelift' 05-06 model, every single 999R of those years would have the 2 color upper fairing?
    Or would there be models with all red upper?

Thanks again!

7. 05-06 999R. Red with white number boards on seat only from factory. A lot of owners put front board on nose.
    Also factory Xerox replica 06 999R with full graphics.

8. AFAIK - 999 and 999S engines are 998cc and have a 998 engine number, 999R is 999cc and has a 999 engine number.

9. I know bugger all about 999's (Or most things for that matter :rolleyes:) but welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy the new ride !! :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. If you are referring to the additional carbon vents on the earlier bikes; just the '03-'04 have it. '05 and '06 are with two vents only, fully red fairing.

11. Ok, thanks guys, I am getting detailed hi-res pics & serial numbers this Friday. Will also check compression. I'll post the pics to ask for your help.
    If everything is ok, I'll try to buy it.

The fact is the guy is supposedly the 3rd owner, there is no plaque or service records or parts or cover. But the bike has 16000km and is supposedly in awesome condition. Guy used to work for Ducati and picked it up used before it hit the showroom.

I do understand that no plaque & records & kit is bad. But I reckon I could get it for 10K - 11K for sure.
    Don't think he'll let it go for 9K though... Keep in mind those are CAD $ !!

But honestly, there are three 999 for sale in all of Quebec. None is an S or an R. There are another 6 or 7 in Ontario. And the only other 'R' I saw was in Alberta... which is too far. And the guy is asking for 18K with all the kit & 6000km.

Bluebook is 8600$ to 9600$, but that is what a dealer would pay.
    That's it, there's just not many of them around..

12. Ok, thanks guys, I am getting detailed hi-res pics & serial numbers this Friday. Will also check compression. I'll post the pics to ask for your help.
    If everything is ok, I'll try to buy it.

The fact is the guy is supposedly the 3rd owner, there is no plaque or service records or parts or cover. But the bike has 16000km and is supposedly in awesome condition. Guy used to work for Ducati and picked it up used before it hit the showroom.

I do understand that no plaque & records & kit is bad. But I reckon I could get it for 10K - 11K for sure.
    Don't think he'll let it go for 9K though... Keep in mind those are CAD $ !!

But honestly, there are three 999 for sale in all of Quebec. None is an S or an R. There are another 6 or 7 in Ontario. And the only other 'R' I saw was in Alberta... which is too far. And the guy is asking for 18K with all the kit & 6000km.

Bluebook is 8600$ to 9600$, but that is what a dealer would pay.
    That's it, there's just not many of them around..

13. No plaque and no service history, :scream:

If your planning on keeping it long term and it doesn't bother and it's a genuine bike not an "S" then go for it.

I know there's lots of us on this forum that wouldn't touch it with a barge pole,lol.

Good luck

14. agreed
    however if the owner can prove he did work as a mechanic at ducati when he bought it, i would be safe to assume he did do the maintenance himself...

Anyway, i will inspect it thoroughly and hopefully bring it to the dealer to inspect also. And i was wrong, there are 6 total for sale in Qc & On (22 million population). One is an 'S' and the 'supposed R' I am looking at.
    A standard 999 goes for approx 5k for a 2003 and 6+K for an 05 - 06. With higher mileage.

Finally, after much reserarch, it seems North American models 2005 'R' did not come with numbered tripple clamp. EU models did. I contacted Ducati Canada to get the 100% answer.

Cheers,

15. If you can get it for 10K-11K CAD and it's an R motor then I'd say go for it if you want an R bike to ride, at that price it doesn't matter if it's a 'bitsa' at all.

A lot of the comments on here are from people who view these things as 'investments to be enjoyed' more than a bike to be thrashed and crashed.

Yes many of the later USA R models did not have numbered triple clamps.

16. Did you just call it a mongrel ?
    I had to google 'bitsa' waahahhhahhhah

I'm thinking maybe it is, here is a new link with better pics:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...00/1290683107?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also, with the CAN Bus system, it should not be possible to unplug the odometer & ride, or is it?
    I'm thinking lots of electronics alarms and maybe even a bunch of other dash functions not working.. Any idea?

Thanks for your feedback guys!!

17. Yeah just buy it, it looks fine to me (I should know, I bought one last week)!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Don't take any notice of the google definition of 'bitsa' ,its just a word that gets confused in the journey across the pond, bit like fanny and fag!!!
    If you like the bike and the price go for it.

19. Sorry of not being able to help. Just wanted to say I've always regretted more the bikes/cars I didn't buy than the ones I did, even if the bought ones weren't always what I thought they would be.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information