1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2005 Ducati Monster Clutch Cover Bolts

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by James English, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Hey guys

Replacing my clutch cover on a 2005 Ducati Monster and I realised I've stuffed up not marking which bolts go in which slot. I assumed the four long bolts were the same length but one is slightly shorter and for the life of me I can't work out why. (you'll see in photo far left bolt slightly shorter)
    Any help appreciated!

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2252.JPG

clutchBolt.jpg

#1 James English, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. To remove the cover it is only necessary to take out 2 long bolts and 2 much shorter bolts. You appear to have maybe taken 2 side cover bolts out as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Agree, 20 & 21 should remain in situ, 3 & 1 are the ones to remove, although the labels for parts 1 & 2 are mixed upon the diagram.
    To work out which ones should remain in the crankcase place the clutch gasket (7) over the crankcase, where the larger holes are in the gasket is where the screws remain in the crankcase and don't need to be removed, the large holes are there to fit over the head of the crankcase retaining bolts. An educated guess says your shorter bolt is 21 in the diagram but once you work out which are the crankcase ones replace them, with the clutch cover still off and tighten by finger only, you'll soon find if one protrudes slightly or not, in which case swap them over.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The shorter one is the side cover bolt. The clutch cover has an enlarged hole at that position and slips over the head of the bolt. I can't remember which, but looking at the parts diagram it should be the top one, item 21.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys, you're right I took out bolts 20 & 21 which can remain in the crankcase as they don't hold the cover in place. First time I've removed the cover so a rookie mistake there. I'll remove the cover and gasket completely and go through the procedure as PaulPhillips described.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information