1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2008 Hm 1100 Ohlins Shock Spring Weight?

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by Ant1DP, Aug 3, 2022.

1. So the suspension on my 2008 HM 1100 is pretty bad as the forks only have 70mm of travel and the nose hardly dives under braking, but ive bought an Andreani cartridge kit thats built to my weight for £500. Next im going to Maxton Suspension to have the fork cartridges fitted £160, and shock serviced £120. Plus labour £140. All priced ex VAT.

Does anyone know what type the Ohlins shock is on the 2008 HM? (TTX maybe). if its a TTX I can find used springs on eBay

Also does anyone know how I get the correct weight spring for my 75KG weight?

Thanks

2. So finally I found out that the 1100 doesnt have an Ohlins shock, ive had to buy one used for £450, that will need a lighter spring £100 then a service as its 10 years old £160. Im bleeding money on this bike trying to get it road worthy.

2008 HM 1100 with 19k miles was £4800, but ive got to spend £800 on servicing it and fixing issues like the clutch then £1500 on suspension upgrades and servicing. If id paid £9k I could of got a 2016 936sp with 4k miles. It doesnt always pay to try and save money.

3. The newer ones don't have a soul, you're better off with the OG aircooled 1100.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Maybe you should have bought a Honda?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I’ve got a Honda Fireblade with Ohlins, brembos, carbon wheels, ceramic brakes and titanium axles, for the ultimate riding/cornering experience. That’s what has given me a taste for proper functioning parts.

I’m pretty sure Honda doesn’t make anything like the HM and it’s wonderful torquey engine, not to mention the style. I just should of done my homework and saved a little more money and gone for a race spec HM.

• Like Like x 1
  6. If youve done the front as god intended then a good rear would have been the way.... (Bitubo 3 way rear on mine) - before you mention the cost, embrace the expense - its why you own a ducati.....one question not asked and not answered when i was doing some engine work ended up in a 3.2k rebuild...awesome... (hey - youve got a roller so youre good for it :) )

#6 comfysofa, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  7. The motor on those bikes is just soooo much fun - I have an M1100S with the same engine - top fun!

• Like Like x 1
  8. I have to agree.....once youve got it sorted theyre very adictive...like riding a 2 wheeled turbo charged tractor..that sounds like its just about to explode at any minute...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey guys- are you telling me the old 1100 engine is more fun than the newer higher rpm based engines? because I did buy it because of its 76ft/lbs at 4000rpm. I just assumed that the newer models were as good, but I don’t see the point in chasing high rms and high speeds on a naked bike, especially when I’ve got a superbike for that.

love the turbo tractor analogy

10. Yep, the air cooled 1100 is a great torquey thing - brake and braaaap!

11. Its what its like...(Really!) - Theres the - power to weight thing as well....ive got a steep driveway and i always push the bikes up....i struggle to get the RSV4 up there, next is my z1000 and finally the Hyper is way the easiest....organic scales guess my hyper at about 165 ish kilos and when it makes all its power at 2k and upwards all the fun is round the 20 - 90mph mark...oem weight is only 177 and mines been stripped bare and lightened....

I think the current one is at the thick end of 200kilos...

#11 comfysofa, Aug 6, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2022

12. Now I feel SO! much better about my purchase. I’m a sucker for FOMO after looking at pictures of the new bikes. So I’m really happy to hear you confirm that the 1100 is the hulligan bike that I was sold on. Cheers

I’ve spent £15k on the best parts for my 2008 Fireblade because that’s the way I feel about that bike. You get loads of rich guys getting spat off their new bikes at winter testing because they forgot to program the tyre change into the computer or some other shit. keep it simple is my moto. Thanks

13. Absolutely. People have heard me singing the praises of it on here.....ive got an old 64 plate gen4 z1000. It was a great bike when i bought it but, ive thrown the kitchen sink at it over the years...marchesini wheels. Nitron r3 rear shock, Nitron pro cartridges, carbon fibre, full system, dyno work, Lithium battery, brembo HPK front calipers, rear brembo, QS the list goes on....it made a great bike better, its my daily commute, its been written off and put back on the road. Its never broken down, never missed a beat, just took it to the TT (performed admirably). Not a whiff of electronics, nada, nothing...so youre not the only one...!

• Like Like x 1
  14. You sound like me with my Fireblade. I know it’s going to be crashed so I engineer it to survive accidents. I use carbon fibre on the nose fairing to build a kind of cage to protect the controls, the dash sits inside a subtle box so it can’t be damaged but some mods are simple like my rearsets have a nylon bumper on the inside that’s 3mm off the swingarm so the rearsets will not get snapped off.

After you told me about the 1100’s special features I decided to invest in lower drag bars, brembo corse brake and clutch lever, so I’m waiting for those before adding the QA throttle.

I’ve already ordered an Ohlins shock with light spring, Andreani fork cartridges made to my weight which I’m having setup soon.

the only thing that worries me is the gear box, 1st and 2nd have that nice confirmation from the click you feel when you change but not the higher gears. Have you heard of this problem?

15. Not heard of that but there's a company in the US called factory Pro that do a ceramic bearing and return spring for the gearchange mechanism... Ive got them fitted to mine which does make a subtle but nice difference...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information