1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2011 1200s Multi Belt

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by T ADAMS, Jul 20, 2018.

1. my 2011 multi has only 3,700 miles ( naughty me) Do you think it needs the belts replaced the manual states 5yrs. Although mine is 7 years it has not been pushed hard nor done more than 100miles on any one trip. I was thinking that I would leave it until 5,000 miles before getting the belts done ?

2. Well well, I'm surprised. I'm sure many members will read your post and think you are wrong, as belts should be changed every 2 years. We all know that. But I just checked my DVT handbook and it states belts should be changed every 18000 miles or 60 months.
    I've learned something unexpected but I also think you are taking an unnecessary risk. It is known as cheap insurance to change the belts every 2 years as the consequences of a belt breaking is catastrophic engine damage, far and away more expensive to repair than the bi-annual cost of a belt change. You're already in the red zone by leaving them on for 7 years. Don't push your luck. Belt material will degrade with time, not just miles, due to contact with oxygen. Also, with your little used engine the belts will sit bent round the timing sprockets in one position for long periods of time, which will tend to stress that one area and generate a weak point.
    My advice is get the belts changed asap. Certainly don't wait for 5000 miles which at your rate of use will be another 2 years!

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Didn't you use to play for the Gooners ?? Welome along BTW.

PS, with regards to belts, its not just mileage, its the degradation of the rubber what they are concerned with. I personally think get em changed, but also, you'll get zero help from DUK if it's outside the 5 years. At your current mileage, 5000 could be a 10 year old belt. Is it worth not changing them ??

4. Owners manual states 24000km (15000 miles) OR 5 years whichever comes first. Have you been lucky or is the servicing regime conservative ? For those people that do the mileage within the warrantee period, changing the belts is a must. There are people who have received good will contributions to repairs outside the warrantee period where they have maintained the dealer service history and there are people who have not maintained the dealer service history and have had requests for good will contributions for repairs declined. Given your Multistrada is 7 years old, I don’t think any of that is now relevant. Your belts are however getting old and might let go or not. FWIW, I agree with @Wayne58 and don’t think it’s worth the risk. Andy

5. Thanks sound advice booked it in today but the earliest the dealer can do is 1st September - so no more miles meantime.

6. See response to Conman and thanks bike is laid up until belts are replaced.

8. Many thanks for the feed back and advice taken.

9. Thanks. bike booked in for annual service & belt change

• Like Like x 1
  10. I change mine to there 5 yr or 24 k spec .

Do Not Sell My Personal Information