1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2012 Series 1200s Multi, Ok For A Shortie?

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by IanB, Jul 25, 2022.

1. Anyone with a 30 ish inch inside leg riding a 1200s Muliti? If so how do you find it? Especially interested to hear from anyone who rides one with luggage. is the weight high up? Is this a problem?

My current touring bike is a lowered 1200GS which carries its weight very low & I can flat foot at a standstill but I fancy swapping it for an MS.

TIA

2. Being tall, I don't have an issue with saddle height but I have friends who are not as tall who manage. The later DVT's have an adjustable saddle height, there was a lowered saddle (-25mm) available for the earlier non DVT. As far as luggage goes, I have pulled the fully laden bike (panniers, top box and tank bag) on top of me whilst trying to get on the bike on a flat surface. I still tour with panniers and top box but I no longer use the large Ducati tank bag. Not to make the bike less top heavy but to make it easier to get on. I now use a small 5 or 6 litre Givi which I can fit when I'm on the bike. Andy

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Ian, I have about the same leg length as you. I've also had a 1200 Multi of one iteration or another since 2011.
    Don't be concerned about if you can manage - of course you can! Flatfooting seems to be a hang-up for some people but it is not important. At a standstill I can get one foot fully down, usually the up-camber one, and the bike is well balanced against that leg. Otherwise I can usually get my toes down on both feet, which again is stable.
    As for the extra weight of luggage, it isn't noticeable when moving or at standstill. Sometimes, depending on the side slope, it is a bit of an effort to haul the bike upright off the side stand. Pre-planning helps by parking your bike with that in mind, and I also have a side stand foot fitted which makes a surprising difference even though it is only a few millimeters thick.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Until we both fell over on a mountain road @Coman!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I’m 5’8” with similar inside leg, as Coman says, it’s ok, I could stand balls of my feet on the ground, flat foot one side while the other was on the peg at lights etc, no bother. Typically Italian the side stand is a little short so the bike leans over quite a way and full luggage and a full tank it could be quite an effort to get it upright, and that’s with a stand foot fitted so a well chosen parking place is advised. Also moving the bike around sat on it was a struggle and tbh especially two up at awkward junctions I was always thinking “when not if” I was going to drop it, never did though.

I had the lowered seat fitted but it didn’t make much difference as it’s the gape that’s the problem not the height, I’ve sat on the 15> DVT and the seat and bike feel narrower since the seat which makes quite a difference.

Got a scrambler now, much happier.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. What @Coman said. :) I am in exactly the same situation. I pay a bit more attention planning which foot goes down when coming to a stop but by this point it's subconcious processing. I also park with consideration on how to get it of the stand, especially if loaded and I need to throw it over and hope my other foot finds the ground. :eek:

Lastly I don't paddle it around I get off and push if it needs to go anywhere motorless.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I'm 5'8", 2017 DVT and do the one foot flat, other on peg method whilst stationary.
    However, I do run the seat with the risers fitted as I prefer the slightly more open knee position.
    Sometimes I have the issue due to bike lean whilst on s/stand but I try to park it so I don't have said issue, If that makes sense!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information