1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Pikes Peak 2013 Skyhook

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Clarkey63, Jun 22, 2019.

1. IMG_5563.JPG having not owned this that long just wondering if anyone has adjusted the skyhook suspention
    And what settings are you running you only seem to be able to adjust front and rear preload
    Thanks in advance

2. Enjoy, great bike!

Front preload is manual, rear electronic. Do a search on there (iirc half turn for 15kgs of weight but can’t be certain) in the front makes a world of difference in mine and many others experience. Rear is a question of playing around with it

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. As bradders said the front preload makes a huge difference to the handling of the bike as they come from the factory with 3/4 of a turn in.....so a 10 kg rider which was how my first 2013 was set.

Wind the nut on top of the right fork all the way to the left then add in one turn clockwise for each 15kgs. For me that would be 7 turns but speaking to a few others they feel that set it to weight then one turn softer is optimum but its a personal thing. When i first got mine i thought it was super soft and diving really badly but i had come from a telelever GS so put it to that. Once i wound on the preload 6 turns the bike tracks much better in corners, doesnt dive as much under braking and when you release the breaks for turn in doesnt unload really quickly as it did on standard.

When i got my second 2013 it was also set at 3/4 turn so thats now remedied

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. @tater disagree? Are they shit bikes or don’t you think the front preload is manual ;)

5. Got to disagree with bigyin. How can the forks be set for a 10kg rider? Makes no sense. If 7 turns in works for you then fine, but the logic is flawed. If its 1 turn per 15kg it will be per 15kg over the expected rider weight.
    I believe the expected rider weight is around 80kg on the later bikes.

I have the same bike as you.
    As a flyweight at 70kg its pretty firm on all settings for me but I use the following.
    Fork preload all the way out.
    Touring mode, softest damping front and rear. Rear preload at 18.
    Also forks with 3 rings showing. Not 2.
    Turns great, no wandering or weaving at speed like some report.
    Rides like a sports bike for me.
    Bit harsh on rough roads but still a blast to ride.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Most come out the factory with no front preload added. May even be that ducati recommend that (certainly someone has posted to say they do in the past) but most (maybe all) who have tried adding preload have found it improved ride.

For me, I added the turns needed for my weight then took a half to 3/4 turn off as it was a bit too firm.

7. What have i said?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. You tagged my post as disagree, was just interested why :)

#8 bradders, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  9. Normally I'd agree with a disgrace for your posts, but to be fair he only disagreed :eyes:

10. Ah that'll be fat thumbs on a tablet! I've been looking through old posts to see what supposed words of suspension wisdom i had used in the past :(

• Like Like x 1
  11. Oops, meant disagree button :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. You obviously missed the irony of suggesting a rider was 10kg :)

Maybe it needed a :p or :joy: after it

• Like Like x 1
  13. The biggest issue is the skyhook disguises the lack of pre load at the front, I found it far too soft on std (no front) pre load, you could feel it pushing the front end through corners as the forks unloaded again and it would follow tramlines in the tarmac something terrible, upping the pre-load has transformed the bike.
    I'm unsure what the exact rating of the front springs are but I do know the rear ia wayyyyyy too soft as std, rated at 95 nm and the spring weight worked out for me is 120nm which is significantly more "springy"
    I'm "slightly" over your 70Kgs but your theory on 1 turn per 15kgs over the expected 80 doesnt work, 2 turns of pre=load for me still has it like a crash diving U boat under heavy braking, where as 6 turns is about perfect
    Suspension settings are a fairly personal thing but there too many people who feel its improved with front pre load for it be "The Emporers New Clothes", I also belive that the zero pre-load contributes to the accelerated front tyre wear some people seem to suffer from, as the forks push the tyre very hard when unloading after braking.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks for all the helpful comments is there any dealers near me that knows a thing or too about the multistrada I live in Surrey
    Once again thanks

15. I did that... humour bypass must have been engaged :bucktooth:

We're all different in what we want.
    Funners . I find the whole setup slightly infuriating. The forks pushing is due to lack of rebound. Allowing the forks to sit so high in the stoke that they don't have far to rebound night mask the issue but it isnt ideal for me. The shock would then need max preload also. But at those settings there would be very little rider sag. Less than 35mm for me. Fine for a track day, but not right when you have 170mm of travel to use on the road. It tops out at those settings and feels choppy on the road for me.

Be boring if we were all the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stick a tywrap on the fork leg. go for a spirited ride & look at the rap/. Then adjust so with hard braking for a 90 degree bend makes the leg nearly dip the full travel. Once you do that you will have found the best setting for you. I think mine is is 7 turns in on right fork. But mine is 2017 s model. I am 80 kg weight.

17. Couldn’t agree more that suspension is a personal thing
    Just one thing to check is whether the forks are “pumped up with air pressure” as there’s no way my forks top out whilst riding in fact I have to get airborne for that to happen
    It’s a huge issue on dirt bike with long travel forks and only needs the top caps loosening whilst lifted off the floor
    I’ve seen it on a KTM previously admittedly not on a Multi but might be worth a look

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Just checking here. When people say 1 turn per 15kg, are you talking 1x360degree turn or one click mark? To be fair my Multistrada is sooooo much better than my old bike I've just been enjoying riding something that is not always trying to punt you into a hedge but if it can be made even better then worth a twiddle.

19. 1x360. I did mine after reading this thread and it has made a huge improvement.

20. Yep a whole 360 deg turn :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information