1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2013 Valve Clearance Check

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by GTmorgan, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Question for those that do their own valve clearance checks.
    Hi all, about to do my first 4V clearance check, I've done a couple of 2V's before and didn't find it too difficult. On the 2V's when the clearances were out you could put new split colletts in and quite often it would bring the clearances back into spec, does the same apply to the 4V's?
    Also, I rang my local dealer to check that they had a good supply of shims just in case I need some and unbelievably they don't have a full shim set!!?? They order what shims you require and that usually takes around two weeks! Perhaps they keep their shim set for in house servicing only but that seems a bit mad, so, any suggestions for shim stockists around the midlands area, preferably west mids or Worcestershire.

Cheers.

2. Yes to the rings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. my understanding is that on later models (2015 on DVT ??) they were using a different metal type half ring / collett that made longer service intervals possible (30k desmo service on the dvt). One of the main wear points was the colletts / half rings getting squashed

4. Half rings have same part number for dvt as non . So probably similar effect.

5. Completed the valve check over the weekend, it's a long winded job, split over two days and took around 12 hours in total.
    All the openers were within spec, all the closers were out, or on the edge, of spec.
    Unless you want to keep popping to your dealer or waiting days for the post to arrive, you need a shim kit, glad I bought one. I'd also advise you buy enough split collets (half rings) to do all the closers.
    I only used 2 shims as the new collets brought all the others back into spec.
    Next time it will be a bit quicker and I'd do it a bit differently, I'd take the measurements, replace the collets in the out of spec closers, reassemble then remeasure and then replace shims if needed, so cams only need to go in and out twice.
    I also made an attachment to fit in a spark plug hole so that I could use the compressor to keep the valves in place whilst doing the closers, that was well worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. When trading out shims do you aim for the middle of the scale or toward the looser end?

7. Anywhere within the checking tolerance is fine, although I always try to get the closers towards the tighter end of the tolerance. I’d recommend changing the collets on the out of spec closers, you may find you don’t need a new shim.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks SO much GT. I have 5 closers out of spec. So, should I order 10 new collets?

9. They come in pairs, one pair per closer.

10. I thought it was 18K miles for Desmo service on the DVT engines ?

11. As I understand it, yes, 18,000 miles (almost 29,000km). It's the V4 Mutley that stretches it out to 36,000 miles I believe. My 1260 is booked in for valve service and belts at 18,000 miles in a couple of months.

12. Just realised that I did this valve check last April at 30000 miles, I'm now at 41500 miles so will be doing it again in a couple of months, that went quickly!!

13. At approx. 1000 to 2000 miles per year (currently 4200) it could be 2036 before my valves get checked ! :joy:

In my defense I have another motorbike, a R129 Mercedes, 2 bicycle's and a skateboard to divide my time between :cool:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information