1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 2016 Dvt Starting Prob

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Ant stinson, May 15, 2017.

1. Bike has always laboured to start from new . Had battery replaced altho was told by dealer it was ok they all start like that. Now I've come to France on it wud not start or try to crank after parked up for the night?
    Managed to get it into life just after 6 attempts . Any one else had this? Starter issue? Battery must've had loads of charge in it after 350 mile ride down here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Take the bike & get the battery tested whilst off, then turn the bike on & have the battery tested. A battery should last at least three-years before needing to be replaced.

3. It's just been for service they said the charging system n battery were good. Modern batteries are v good n should hold charge even with immobilisers trickling off a bit off juice for a decent time . This was left for just one night.

4. Check the cables and connections.

It might be worth upgrading some of them as many modern bikes come with pretty piss poor quality

5. You said it wouldn't even try to start.
    Does everything come to life? Does the fuel pump prime?

Does it all go dead when you press the button??
    What's the voltage reading when you switch on??

If it's just been for service, maybe they didn't tighten the battery connections properly.

6. RealLazy crank couple of times then nothing a few times then caught just spluttered into life
    TFT is on when I checked volts before I set off think it was 12.4
    Always keep it on an optimate at home. It's been shit since day I bought it tbh .

7. I'm not personally convinced that permanent attachment to an Optimate is ideal. I always top up every couple of weeks over winter and leave it alone in Summer with regular use.
    12.4 is a bit too low I suspect.
    I would try and get a new battery as you are far from home, try and park on a hill and get some shiny new starting circuit cables from nice Mr @Exige when you get home.

Try and get a Yuasa AGM or a Motobatt as they have high CCA, so lots of starting oomph

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ps Try and start with head-lights off, if bike allows

9. I'm just hitting Dover now so managed to survive the trip but it's not great wondering whether it's gonna go in the morn . Bike is still under warranty I'll. e dropping it off n leaving it wi em for a few days to try n sort first

10. Not a fan of optimates, ctek chargers are a great improvement over optimates

I've used one of these and never had issues with the battery CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. I've just ridden from Doncaster to Normandy after riding about 700mile on the way down if all was well it shud have put enough charge in the battery to last a fortnight.ive got a battery capacity tester and work so can diagnose if that's the issue but first I'll leave it in the garage for few days without a charger n try it then the dealer can sort it when it won't start!

12. Hi noobie, can you expand why you think the CTec is better than an Optimate please ?

13. Never used an optimal except after a l,one lay up and bike battery flat already. Often leave couple of months between starting and my Multis have never needed a boost :)

Maybe cable loose/not as firmly fitted as it could be? Check the earth cable, as they can vibrate a bit loose (seen on other Ducatis I've had older styles but I haven't on my Multis) :)

15. That's what I wud expect thx I know there's a prob there n won't accept it back from them without it being sorted.

16. My 916 is perma optimated as the fecker eats batteries and at £60 a pop, I'd had enough. The 1198 can sit without trickle forever and no trubbs at all. Always fires up, even after a winter lay up. But goddamned 916 is a high maintenance girlfriend. Shes so pretty.

17. Mine new July 2016 had a dead battery after 5 weeks in Sept/Oct last year. I then put it on a trickle charge & left the bike till April. Been alright until the last two outings where the bike has took 3 or 4 turns to start up. I'm now wondering if the bike needs a new battery , any thoughts ?

18. What type of battery is s it?
    Once lead acid batteries are discharged for any length of time, they sulphate. If it's a wet lead acid battery, you might be able to get some more life from it by putting it on a reviving cycle that pulses charge into the battery and knocks the sulphate off the plates.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hi Thanks for the reply, it's the battery that comes stock with the bike, i will have a word with the dealer about replacement before i get stranded. Cheers Tim

20. It's probably an AGM Yuasa. I don't think the pulse charging works on them but I may be wrong. Good batteries but no battery will survive being in a prolonged state of discharge.
    Don't let them put a non-AGM battery in. They have much more oomph for starting and your Ducati needs all it can get ;)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information