1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 Enduro 2018 Multistrada Shutting Down - Ducati & Protwins Shocking Customer Services - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by big mark, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice really and to see if anyone has been in a similar situation...and what you would do from here if you were me?!

I have had non stop problems with my Ducati since I purchased it brand new in 2018, and even more problems with the dealership Protwins telling me one thing over the phone, and then compeltely denying it in writing.

Since I bought it in August 2018, it has been in the dealerships garage for just under 4 months in total.

I've had fuel gauge issues, coil packs go down, exhaust falling apart the lot. The final straw for me was when it cut out and completely shut down on me mid ride when I had only had it for just over six months...it scared the hell out of me as could have been a lot worse had I been travelling at speed. Protwins (the dealership) are saying they cannot find the fault, and have just given the bike back to me.

I cannot trust it to ride it, its not safe!

Anyway, I asked Protwins to buy it back from me as I can no longer ride it with confidence and had only had it for 8 months at this point. Having paid over £22,000 for the bike and all of the accessories I asked for £17,500 back, whcih I think was fair. They have offered me only £11,000 and will not budge, and have even said that I should sell it privately.

Surely a bike cannot lose almost half of its value in 8 months?

Surely Ducati UK should step in and try and put this situation right?

I just do not know what to do with this now...I cannot sell it privately as I know it has a major dangerous fault, but Ducati UK are refusing to step in, and Protwins are refusing to offer me any more than £11,000 for it.

This just seems all so unfair to me. I paid premium money for an apparently premium bike, and I've had nothing but problems with it from the word go. The way the dealership Protwins have treated me is awful, even down to the fact that when I collected my bike from them last week it was covered in cement dust, and they had broken my camera holder. Unbelievable!

I was really hoping that Ducati UK would want to look after me and put this whole experience right.

What would you guys do from this point? And does anyone have any experience of Ducati UK actually taking a customer seriously? I have involve the Ducati UK rep Tony Cowley and he doesn't want to know.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

2. Sorry to hear of your experience. I do hope you get a decent result.

TB

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sad to hear you've had a negative experience with the brand. I would firstly compile a file listing all the issues and the dealer visits and time off the road. As the bike is still under warranty you could try and now reject the bike on the grounds of not being fit for purpose. You have given the dealership several opportunities to rectify issues and the resulting loss of time with your purchase which should be taken far more seriously than seems from your post. I appreciate there are two sides to every story but you could start with the consumers goods act and give your dealership one last opportunity to rectify the issue (good will on your part) then look so escalate from there. You would need some substantive term to reject but always stay professional in any communication and document everything!!! Good Luck......

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  4. That’s a pretty rotten experience, how many times has the cutting out occurred in total? If you went for a one hour ride now, do you feel sure that it would happen at least once? As hinted at above, you need to document this and as soon as you get a dealer, any dealer to confirm that it is happening and a genuine problem then i’m certain Ducati UK will be interested in helping.

5. Herein lies the one and only (IMO) sensible argument for financing a major purchase: If you have, stop paying the premiums and things will soon start moving along!
    If you haven’t, the cheque has cleared, they have had your money and without a lawyer, you is done for, me old china!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yes and no, depends on the tie-up between finance company and dealer, dealer can ignore and finance company send the boys round to take the bike :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. If its a 1200 (not the 1260) then £11000 from a dealer looks about right. They do depreciate at a heavy rate. Check out the dealer prices on autotrader or ebay

8. Is this Protwins in South Godstone?

If so, I bought a used 2015 Multi 1200s DVT from them a couple years ago and had to bring it back to them multiple times for warranty work. They were not particularly pleasant about the whole thing. In some cases, the bike went back to them for the same, recurring issue, which they took ages to fix.

I also had to pay to get my bike recovered 100 miles to them.

In the end, I asked them to buy the bike back from me. But they only offered me a very small amount (in comparison to it's true value). It completely put me off the brand and that dealership.

Interesting to hear that I'm not the only person with a bad experience from them!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Check for arcing in the 4 pin coil plug under the seat, never heard it causing moving cut outs but it does cut all power when trying to turn on bike.

On the move engine blow outs on deceleration/braking are due to the CAT and lean fuel mixes, remove CAT.

Good luck....51,000 miles on my 2016 Enduro and only 4 weeks in the shop ;)

10. Did you ask Ducati if they would be receptive to another dealer close by of their choice that could look at the bike? Often when two parties become heckles raised, both parties become very focused on the wrong thing. If you have become disillusioned with the bike, the best way forward is to get the faults fixed with ducati's help at possibly another dealer and then make your mind up as to what happens next?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  11. I would get a solicitor and send it back for a full refund. It can be done. I have done it

Don’t expect any help from Ducati. The contract is between you and protwins

Most definitely do not take it to another Ducati dealer as Pro Twins can then wash their hands of it in terms of a refund

#11 749er, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
  12. This is serious money and I would be talking to a solicitor. Most will have an initial free consultation.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. cheers guys for the input.
    they tell me the bike is fixed, but ive lost all trust in it.
    my biggest mistake was paying for it in full.
    should have financed it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I know you seem to have lost heart in it, give it a go and see if it is genuinely fixed, it might change your mind, if not at least you have a working bike to px with. Good luck

15. Mary, if you had read my reply properly, I suggested using Ducati U.K. themselves as the choosing agent, keep up dear

• Crap Crap x 1
  16. that's a good point and i'm sure there's a chance it will weaken the case but if a further dealer is given instructions to solely test for faults then it can't do too much harm.

#16 Chris, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  17. Cutting out was an issue on the original 2010 bike, I'm not sure what the fix was, it happened to my 2010 version once. I bought a new multi in June this year and it cut out on the way home! :astonished: and also once more a little while later which did scare me a bit as I locked up the back end trying to jump start it.

Since then I have done about another 1800 miles and no problems, so as far as I'm concerned I'm just going to ride the thing and try not worry too much about it.

18. Side stand switch was a common suspect on the early models, not sure if it got modified on the newer models, but could be worth a look

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ducati will not be interested in anything which relates to the commercial arrangement. They are not a party to the contract. They may send one of their engineers to examine the bike. From a legal perspective having another dealer touch the bike weakens the legal case. I know because I speak from experience in getting a full refund on the purchase of a Desmosedici.

• Like Like x 1
  20. You unhappy with something? imagine that :D

Perhaps you didn't notice either that the o/p said they have now said all is fixed? Let us know how it goes Mark, it will be interesting to see how this pans out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information