1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 950 - Exhaust Valve Query

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by pasty PFC, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Hi all,

I had a problem whereby the dealer left the ECU connector cap in the underseat compartment after a recall for a SW update. The result was that the cap worked its way underneath the exhaust valve actuator and restricted its movement. Ultimately I have a solid MIL light that the dealer now needs to extinguish.

my questions are;
    Is there someone in the forum that can categorically explain the operation of the exhaust valve on this 2019 950 standard model?

I ask as mine seemed to close on start up and then open once warmed up. I am informed by the dealer though that it should remain open and only close when within a speed range (noise control around town).

And secondly, can anyone with a 950 post a video of the actuator operating during the key on routine?

I ask as mine seems to “buck” suggesting damage to its fixing structure when it was previously restricted by the cap or another resistance that remains present.

Thanks.

2. This is the “bucking” motion I attempted to explain.

3. The exhaust vavle is there for emissions and noise control....nothing more than that as far as i know....buying a full system for example will eliminate the need for it and would either be deleted by a dyno operator or, if an "upmap" was purchased from Ducati - although im not sure if they exist for this model yet....

Ive had my old RSV4 factory for almost 10 years now....a few years into its life with me i drilled out the valve itself and had a race map flashed onto it. When i got the full system it was just a straight bolt in job...

My z1000 i bought some arrow race headers (no valve) which left the motor just whirring around...when it went to the dyno Chris at CJS deleted the need for it then it could be just unplugged and blanked off...

All in all less weight, less to go wrong, bike sounds better....all upsides from my point of view...

4. Cable or the valve is jammed and the servo motor is 'bucking' as it pulls the cable against the jam.

5. Thanks both.
    I am aware of the option to remove the exhaust valve but while it’s in warranty I’m eager to leave standard. I will though, look into removal in the future.

Yea, I would say there is a restriction there too, but the valve is actually actuating although not stop to stop (half way) during the key on cycle.

My question was, if you have the same bike can you confirm that yours doesn’t “buck” like mine. It’s just added detail to go to the dealer with.

6. Just read your first post again. This problem is as a result of what seems to be a dealer error, so I'd just get it back to them asap. Every time you cycle the servo you're putting stress on the servo/cable system (with the bucking) that it wasn't designed for... There's no way that is normal operation.

7. Can someone with a 950 post a video of the actuator operating during the key on routine? It’d be much appreciated...thanks.

8. Took the bike to the dealer, they replaced the actuator and cable. This is what the actuator should look like when it is free of restriction.

I am however concerned that the problem will return as the actual exhaust valve continues to stick during the key cycle on cold start up.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information