1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2019 Monster 1200s Rear Wheel Nut Torque.

Discussion in 'Monster' started by jamesgarnor, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Hi
    Is the following kindly posted by Shazaami good for the above?
    *Diavel, Monster 1200, Multistrada 1200, SBK 1098, SBK 1198, SBK 1199 Panigale, SBK 1299 Panigale, Streetfighter 1098, 2017 Supersport

The torque spec for the Panigale rear wheel nut is 230 N·m ±5% with grease applied (important) to the threads and the underside of the nut. The manual calls for Shell Retinax HDX2, an automotive grease. The proper method is to torque to the lower value (218 N·m) and check for alignment of the hole in the nut with one of the holes in the stub axle. Then tighten the nut to get alignment.

If you incorrectly tighten to some unknown torque value, and then loosen to achieve alignment, you risk achieving a final torque that is insufficient to prevent wheel back-and-forth rotational movement of the wheel about its axle. This movement under acceleration and braking can damage the wheel locating pins/holes and axle.

The purpose of this high torque value is to prevent this wheel rotation and damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. To my knowledge, the entire range of bikes that use the ‘big bore’ single sided swing arm axles are torqued to 230Nm. Andy

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Many thanks. That’s most helpful.

4. 230Nm, long breaker bar, Impact wrench, big torque wrench. etc.
    At the end of the day, wasn’t that the easiest wheel to remove?
    Was for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. It is very easy.... If you have the tools
    You could not do it with the toolkit like in the old days!
    But as there is no centrestand you could not take it off at the side of the road anyway.

Love the quote
    "The purpose of this high torque value is to prevent this wheel rotation and damage."
    I would never have guessed

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. "ROFLMAO" Blame it on Google translate.
    20200813_083221.jpg

#6 DarR, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
Do Not Sell My Personal Information