1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 2020 1200s Or 2018 1200r?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by tcrofty7, Jan 18, 2021.

1. I like both and they look very similar. Electronics package is better on the S than the R, However, all i'm really interested in is the QS with auto blipper.

What's your opinions on the two options? I can't decide and need some help please.

2. I have the 1200s and all I can say about the QS is it F**kin crap at normal (legal) road speeds and revs. If you like to use all the revs (I hardly ever go above 5/6k) it might get better. I have disabled mine and find I can shift quicker and smoother manually. Other than that the bike is bloody fantastic and really good fun to ride.

• Like Like x 1
  3. So you have the 2020S? Thought the QS was ok on this model??

4. I have an "R" because of the hardware. The "R" gets you Marchesini forged wheels, bigger and more expensive SurerCorsa tires, a Ohlins steering damper, a mini fairing/screen, a metal tail-light bracket, grip-pier foot-pegs, a much slicker paint job, a larger tank for more range, larger headers with more HP.
    However, you're giving up a few improvements like a QuickShifter, a better ABS system, DWC, and an updated display panel.

I have ridden the new "S" quite a few times and played extensively with the settings.
    I actually made a back to back review awhile back.
    https://www.ducatimonster.org/threads/standard-1200-or-1200s-or-1200r.311545/page-4#post-3115481
    About the QS: the up-shift is good but the down-shift does not blip. You must fully close the throttle for it to engage.

#4 DarR, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hi, you've tested the 2017 S not the 2020 S. Not sure if there's a difference in tech between the two but i know they styling of the 20S is to match the outgoing R

6. The 2017~2021 "S" has not changed...other than the paint job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cheers thanks

8. We should expect a major revision next year in 2022.

• Like Like x 1
  9. My 2019 1200S the QS was pants initially but as I've put miles on and I'm used to it as well I have no complaints. Works great for me....

• Like Like x 1
  10. I have the same QS on my Multistrada as yours on the Monster with no complaints either.
    It's actually fantastic for short shifting.
    My comment was limited to that it does not "blip" on down-shift like the one on the Panigale.

• Like Like x 1
  11. The QS on the 1260 multi I test rode was spot on. No blip on downshift but that is not a miss on the road imo. Wish it was available for the Monster R. So much more in the way of trick parts and quality components make it a worthwhile sacrifice though.
    Gear shift assist on my GS, up and down, it is NOT quick..but I do like it o_O

Having owned several bikes with quickshifters in the past and test ride on a Tuono (up only experience apart from current GS) I would say the key to smooth operation is finding the sweet spot for revs and load on transmission. mYy S1r was up only but timed right could get a very nice down change without the clutch. Match revs, throttle, load...nice gear change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I went with the R over the S based on size. At an average 5'11" I found the S a bit too small. The R has taller suspension & I also fitted a comfort seat which is also slightly higher than standard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. No mate, mine is a 2018. Don't confuse this with the 1260 mutley, the QS on that is excellent, I think that bike was built with a QS in mind whereas the 1200 monster had it added on as (an afterthought) a bit of bling. I have no idea if they get better with age as it disabled and I don't see it being used any time soon.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Why would you need a QS on a road bike? I thought about fitting one to my monster 1200.
    Having spoken to a few mates with experience of them, they said don’t bother.
    The cost / benefits do not add up, there is no real hardship in pulling in the clutch lever.
    I did fit an Oberon clutch slave which has made the clutch pull lighter.
    Also contrary to what is said, they put additional strain in the drive train, I know of 2 occasions where QS has probably contributed to premature gearbox failures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. In fairness, qs come in to their own at the two extremes. Either track or touring. Track benefits are obvious but touring more when big miles on longer multi day trips. Esp if working hands have had a rough time at work, like mine. Aches and pains which are much less when not needing to keep pulling the clutch lever.
    Sounds like nothing I am sure, but once you have enjoyed the benefits of even just half decent shifter, they move up the must/want have list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. As to gearbox failures, it depends on use. Just in the same way a crap gearchange can be had when using the clutch, this can happen with a shifter too. If the end user has no mechanical sympathy or mechanical empathy..or just ragged beyond design intentions on track.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I have a QS and autoblipper on my 2019 RSV4 Factory and it's amazing. I don't care if you need one on the road or not, it just makes me smile everytime i downshift.

If i get a Monster then the QS is not a big deal as this bike for me is to take it steady, more cruising than head down, arse up sort of riding.

18. 100% agree there matey. I have experience of an amazing QS with autoblip and would like it on all my bikes.

19. I'd go for the R because that's what I did.
    Quick shifter was not a consideration for me,have one on my Hyper and hardly ever use it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information