1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2020 Street Triple Rs - Some Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by aaron0288, Aug 29, 2020.

1. I’m looking to chop the 899 in for one of these. Found a nice second hand one at a trader with 1000 miles on it for £9k.

Only it states the run in service was done at only 109 miles. I asked the trader about this and wondered if it was a typo. He stated that it was indeed correct and because the bike was 6 months old at the time, the run in service was done at that interval rather than 600 miles. The bike hasn’t been serviced since...

For those in the know, what do you think of this? For all I know, the previous owner caned the thing from that first service rather than running it in properly.

2. they are not limited electronically but the dash does light up like an xmas tree if you go above the rev limit reccomendations for engine break in. iirc the ecu does log how many times this has occured so maybe the dealer can pull this info from the ecu for you to put yr mind at ease

3. If it were a Ducati, it would have had a special oil to help the bedding in process which is why it gets changed at 600 miles OR 6 months. All engines from all manufacturers are run at the end of the build process, some look to check output as one of the parameters. Running in has two schools, follow the instructions and just f**cking ride it. There is no clear evidence that riding a modern bike hard from the off has any detrimental affect. In fact, some engines produce more HP than an equivalent motor run in to instructions. As it’s a Triumph, I haven’t got a clue but I doubt it’s much different. Andy

4. That is correct. Miles or age. Same on mine when I got it. I changed oil and filter at 600 miles to be safe.
    £9k sounds expensive though.

5. Yes you’re right. Having looked at some more I’ve found another from a dealer with similar mileage for £8.6k. Think I’ll leave this one. Do you have the 2020 model? Recommend it?

Good to know about the run in service though.

6. I have the 2018RS and 765 Moto2.
    The Striple is simply outstanding as an all rounder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. I paid £8k dead for mine. One year old. 120 miles on clock. Triumph main dealer.

8. I have a 2018 RS and the TFT dash is much clearer and useful than the 2020 model IMO.

9. That’s the one thing that’s putting me off the newer model. I love everything else they’ve added for 2020. Looks nicer, auto blipper, standard exhaust is much smarter but that dash is awful. Lots of people have said the same so I’m hoping Triumph are listening and can offer out an “update” so to speak to the older dash.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Was it listed as such? Never dealt with a main dealer before and am hoping in the current climate and time of year they’d be more willing to do a deal.

11. I agree, it's over fussy and complicated. I have 6 styles I can choose from, but just leave it on the one I like the most.

IMG_20190921_174709.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I bought a pre-reg 765R last year as my 899 was becoming uncomfortable for old bones.:(

Brilliant bike, really cannot fault any aspect of it at all, except it isn't as easy on the eyes as an 899!:p

13. It was listed at £8600. I offered £7900 on the phone and was told to Foxtrot Oscar.
    I left it about 5 hours and called back saying £8k dead was my best offer. It was approaching winter and I was cheeky. I left it with them and they called the next day. Then I told them it was overdue it’s first service (on age) so they did that too.
    You have the power.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Soooo much nicer. Fingers crossed they listen and change it back.

Glad to hear all good things about it. I’m the same in that who doesn’t love the looks of the 899, but road riding is changing for me now and it’s just not much fun having a supersports for the road. Test rode the 2017 model when it came out and loved the buzz at the top of the rev range it gave. Had a 2013 R model before but the RS felt like such a step up in terms of performance and quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yes I understand the 1st service is 600 or 6 months whichever comes first. Fabulous bike for a bargain price :upyeah:
    Absolutely agree with Rman but decided to change the looks ;)
    Trimph Round.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  16. A mates just bought a 2yr old RS from a main dealer, 1100 miles on it, I think he paid around £7.5k for it?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information