1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd verse!! England v Sweden

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Nothingbettertodo, Nov 14, 2012.

1. The opening of the England v Sweden match has just played two verses of our national anthem. Should have seen the looks on the faces of our players.......they had no idea what was going on!!! Hilarious

2. I can't imagine anyone knowing the second verse here either.......

Google at the ready

3. Most of them don't even know or sing the first verse!

4. weve got an anthem?

oh yes thats right..i remember hearing a dirge play after every olympic cycling event come to think of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. We are lucky enough to have three wonderful anthems: Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, and Jerusalem. Unfortunately instead of these, for a national anthem we are lumbered with the dreary dirge God Save the Queen.

6. id vote for jerusalem....religious connotations notwithstanding...as i think it has a really moving sentiment and a stirring Englishness, yes Englishness about it...lovely piece ofmusic. As for the others, well i find them just as dreary and jingoistic as god save the queen, which if im not mistaken, is the national anthem (different lyrics usually) to about another 10 or 15 countries...not all of them common wealth incidentally.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information