1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1260 4000 Miles 1260 Update

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Groundhog, Aug 8, 2018.

1. I've just reached 4,000 miles on my 1260s. For the benefit (I hope) of new or prospective owners of the bike here are my thoughts so far. These are just my thoughts, no doubt some will disagree with some of it.

Positives

Best bike by far I have ever owned. I'll stop there then:)

The more miles I do the more it loosens up. I was thinking of changing to a 42 rear sprocket, but now everything is bedding in I don't feel the need. When new, the motor didn't feel very happy at 70 ish in top. Now it does so I won't be changing the gearing.

The severe engine braking also seems less as time goes on.

Handling is great. I also don't mind the Scorpions, but not far off needing to change. I may try something else.

Power, and more importantly for me the spread of power/torque is amazing.

Being my first Ducati I am impressed with the build quality and finish.

Very pleased so far with service offered by my dealer - Moto Rapido.

Fuelling is good but as with all bikes stifled by euro 4, it's not perfect.

Fuel consumption is pretty good.

The Skyhook is great, as is the dash and all that you can do with it. I found it all a bit much at first but now I've got my head around it all I find I enjoy changing and tweaking things to my liking, depending on how and where I am riding.

Lights and cornering lights are excellent.

Reliability so far (which I confess was a bit of a concern prior to buying the bike) is 100% good.

Negatives

Length of time waiting for parts. It took a couple of months to get my touring pack. And four months since ordering a comfort seat I am still waiting, September being the latest quote. I am however realising this seems to be the Ducati way, so I will just go with the flow.
    I have this image in my head of an Italian seat maker saying to himself 'shall I make another seat, or shall I have another cappuccino':thinkingface:...……...I'll have another cappuccino'!

I had a small issue with the quickshifter but I've since turned it off, for me it just feels more natural to ride using the clutch.

I find the stock seat uncomfortable and as said have a comfort seat on order. I have since bought a Corbin seat which is great. I will still get the comfort seat as well....eventuallyo_O

I don't like the amount of free play on the throttle. It makes the initial on/off of the throttle hard not to make a bit jerky. I will be getting the throttle spacers as soon as they are available which I'm sure will cure that.

Conclusion

It's the best bike I've ever owned.... sorry I'm repeating myself there!

Minimal negatives.

I haven't included the screen in positive or negative, it's a minefield! I have the MRA Vario with deflector along with the Jamie Claire spacers. It's not perfect but I suspect the best I'm going to get it.

It's just a fantastic bike. I love the look of it, the sound of it, and I realise, as I suspected, that owning a Ducati gives you a feeling that no other manufacturer can give you. I'm hooked!

Edit. I forgot to list the parts I've added.

Touring Pack, Evotech engine guard, Ducati 20mm bar risers, Ducati sat nav mount, Ducati Rad guard. Corbin seat, Evotech bar ends, Conquest Carbon exhaust guard, MRA Vario screen, Screen spacers. SW Motech tank bag.

Update - My comfort seat should be at the dealer in the next day or two!!
    Evotech rad guard arrived today so will fit that tomorrow tomorrow. Good quality stuff that Evotech.
    I lightly greased the mounting points for the panniers and they come on and off a lot easier now.

#1 Groundhog, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nice writeup! I’m on 4400km and like you i’m very happy with the bike. I would however like some more go at top rpm and some more sound. I’m coming from a stomping full akra/PC fitted 2008 ZX-10R that thrilled me at full go in all gears, the 1260 lacks that punch but then again it is totally different and in most ways better bike. Still looking for dynos/comparison of stock vs full termi kit on the 1260..

I actually like the oem seat and the screen works fine with me. If i experience buffeting at high position lowering it helps.

And, the skyhook is just wonderful. At sport with raised rear the bike turns superquick, at softest in urban it feels somewhat sloppy but supercomfy around town. Oh, and it really works on track, even with the scorpions fitted, just trust the electonics.

Best upgrades for me so far was the electonic fuel cap (no key fidling needed) and amazingly the heavy barends. I never actually felt the need for bar ends but fitting them transformed the bike for me, much smoother feel at all revs.

Oh, and the heated gripes are fantastic.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I got the bar ends too:upyeah:I will add the bits I've put on the bike to my post

4. Not sure of this comparison is any good as mine is just a mere 1200s 2017. I had the full termi kit ordered with the bike new. After 600 miles of jerky glitchy throttle riding the dealer said now go & enjoy your bike. At nearly 7000 miles & with new PR5s at 4000 miles the bike is the best thing i have ever owned apart from the EX wife. JOKE cost waaaay more than the bike. Anyway i have had more rides on the bike than with the ex & its just amazing. Took the DB killer out & the thing is just so amazing. Pops & bangs if you control the throttle right & pulls like a bloody train. Just remember if you fit the full termi with upmap,,,, wear ear plugs. I was riding in the yorkshire dales last week & 1 of my ear plugs came out. Thought f--ck i,ll sort it later. Ears ringing for a day afterwards. Beautiful sound & performance. Will not change the bike until the V4 comes out in Sept 2019.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Was meant to be collecting my 1260 today but a combination of my tight schedule and the fact that the dealer didn't quite have the time to prep the bike in time means I've delayed this until beginning of September for the new reg. This thread has wetted my appetite further... Thanks for posting your thoughts.

Which are the Evotec bar ends that you speak of? From what I can see on my phone their website doesn't list any for the 1260 or 1200. Already had their front cylinder head guard and crash bungs delivered and I'm impressed with the apparent quality.

• Like Like x 1
  6. You need to order the bar ends listed for the 1200 Enduro, they fit the 1260. I don't know why they only list them for the Enduro, but they fit.

7. ^ This.

A decent mod, well worth doing. Cuts the bars vibes down significantly.

8. Thank you for that. Black (which would be my choice) currently out of stock according to their website. I'll keep any eye out and order a set in advance of collecting my bike though. I have an increasing pile of farkles to fit once the bike is in my hands :rolleyes::D

9. Welcome, almost, to the 1260 fold Chas. I traded in my DVT at the end of April with 33k on it, loved the bike but the fact it used a fair bit of oil and that it was just out of warranty seemed a good enough excuse to get a 1260 :grinning:, got the extended warranty on this one and already have 7k miles on it :eek:, that's retirement for you!!
    Hope to catch up soon.
    All the best, Phil.

• Like Like x 2
  10. There always has to be an 'excuse' to trade up. A new lady in my life who wants to join me on trips was all I needed. The MV was never a two up machine and only snuck in after an abysmal experience with Riders of Bristol when I was fully intending to get a 1200 MTS a couple of years ago. Having said that I'll look back on the time with the Turismo fondly.

Yes, went for the +24 month Ever Red warranty too. Extended peace of mind is well worth the cost IMHO.

Absolutely, FWTSR this year maybe, is there going to be one?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there.
    Or have you only used them in the summer :confused:

12. No Sarcasm, they are fantastic. On cold days and in rain

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I agree with everthing above (only covered 365 miles on 1260 PP) however I have notice an issue in finding neutral. Hopefully this gets better as everthing loosens up. I’m toying with the idea of a a full akrapovic system but nobody can map the 1260 ecu yet. The wind was a bit annoying even with the carbon PP screen all the way up. Got a MRA Vario to fit tonight.

14. I found getting neutral difficult at first, but as with other things on the bike, it improved with more mileage.

• Like Like x 1
  15. All being well there will be, if I get my finger out :thinkingface:, Not going to make the SS in September though I'm afraid.

16. Just approaching 8,000 miles on my 1260 and still smiling. I love the variability of the suspension, the relaxing nature of the cruise control (in the camera zones) and the quick shifter for those rapid overtakes. Jamie's spacers have made a great difference to the pillion buffeting issue.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Where would I purchase Jamie’s spacers??

18. Neutral will get better after a few miles, mine was difficult at first, but it’s not such an issue now

I’m also suffering the wind roar noise, even with the PP screen, post a picture of that screen when you have it fitted james85, and let us know if the wind roar is any better..

• Like Like x 1
  19. A1F0840F-D93F-41BB-B115-6C7ACBB556CF.jpeg
    Well the screen is fitted and the wind roar isn’t as bad, with ear plugs it’s bearable. I think I will order the spacers aswell and report back.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information