1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600/750SS owners - need some help... :)

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by 470four, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Sensing a business opportunity, a gap in the market if you will - I have started work on making some stainless case-savers for the 600 & 750SS engines to go with my others, the sprocket cavity & mountings being a lot different from the 900/dry clutch engines?

A little work over the last two days has this prototype in front of me:

[​IMG]

Superb! One thing I need to know before signing them off is - I am working off a 600SS alt.cover as you can see & not a whole engine, I have an overlap of 12mm on the saver which will fit into the LH case itself, is there anything in the way which would get in its way? Casting ribs etc?

In other words how deep is the engine case cavity from where it meets the alt.cover to the back?

[​IMG]

Thanks! :upyeah:

2. Hi, from the mating face of the alternator cover on the crankcase you have 28.6mm into the crancase to use as that is just a cast face I would work on 27.5mm to 28mm.

3. Sorry DArren, can’t find my Allen bit to get my sprocket off ….misplaced it while trying to sort out this effin misfire at low revs……..b*ggred if I know what is causing it!

But see the attached…….CASE means bolt hole for holding the casting to the crankcase, COVER means bolt hole for holding the sprocket cover on.

The depths are measured adjacent to the relevant holes…..

I have also run a steel rule around the gap and reckon that 1.5” wide for the saver is safe if you measure from the outside of the CASE hole bosses.

I note in your other pic, that the saver is bolted to the COVER hole boss, while the other is on the CASE hole boss……it seems to be throwing it on the p*ss off the vertical a bit….

Note that if it is to be bolted to the CASE hole bosses, then you will need some short steel tube spacers so that the bosses don’t crush when you tighten the bolts……Similar to those spacers where there are drain tube clips etc.

AL.

4. Hi Al,

Ahead of you on that one - couldnt use the middle or bottom cover holes as this would mean a very complex bend to the tabs, there is as you say very little room for anything inside the cavity between the sprocket & the casing so I used the bottom case mount hole instead? I have a small spacer sat in the allen bolt head fitting and will supply a longer case bolt to take up the spacer & saver distance?

The second photo (not shown here, private email :) ) is a bit strange as regards perspective I must admit! The saver runs straight and true along the side of the casing with a 12mm overlap as mentioned, all tabs are designed with the mount height distance taken into account, note the early fold on the bottom tab mount.

Not an easy job!

Thanks for the info & measurements! Darren

5. Selling any here to forum stalwarts?...

6. My posts must be invisible.

7. Sorry! The "Thanks for the info & measurements!" went out to both of you, my apologies for not being more specific! :redface:

Your help and info has been invaluable. :upyeah:

8. Possibly? Could do a Paypal payment as a buy-it-now?

PM me if you want one, could sell for £19.95 including Recorded Royal Mail postage. Please remember these are all handmade & I have a day-job so mass-production may take a while! :biggrin:

First come, first served...

9. Now have number 001 in front of me:

[​IMG]

All good! May let the prototype go for £12 posted if anybody wants it? :smile:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information