1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600ss Bottom Yoke

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by southcoast_dan, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Recently picked up a 600ss and finally managed to get around to taking a detailed looked at it.
    Bottom fixings to the fairings were completely seized so while I got them off, will need to replace them but biggest shock was finding a crack straight through the bottom yoke.
    Does anyone know if there are any after market replacements? Not sure if the stock ones were known for this issue?

IMG_20201107_154724.jpg

2. That looks like it's been over tightened to me.

3. Shock fracture, one too many wheelies?
    How are the fork seals, head bearings?

4. Fork seals seem ok. Same with the rebound but will be looking at those in detail as and when they come out. I think it's just been over tightened but don't know if there's a better after market yoke around or if I just need to trawl eBay for second hand ones

5. This is a 600ss we are talking about!, not a V4 Tuono .:laughing:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. It’s not as though they gained a reputation for cracking the frame around the headstock if you indulge in too many wheelies/stoppies! The SS, not the Tuono.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thanks all. Managed to source a replacement so now just got the fun of swapping them out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Looking at the state of the Rounded hex bolts in your bottom yoke picture, your SS may have had a previous owner who was not quite up to doing his own maintenance.

#9 Jon Wright, Nov 8, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  9. Good spot! Hadn't even noticed the rounded bolt. Can see this being a pain in the a*** job.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Should be ok. If you can’t get a hex key to bite, hammer in the next size torx bit that won’t quite fit and it will wind straight out.
    However, with the previous owner potentially more used to cast iron blocks and Whitworth spanners, I think I would go round everything on the chassis at least with a pot of anti-seize and then retorque everything to spec.

11. Thanks. Current plan is to get the engine running then address this although parts have been ordered. But yes, I intend to go over everything and check all the basics. Oddly, a number of critical items have paint markings on and all looks pretty good so hopefully it's just these fixings that are the exception.

12. At least you can cut the yoke away from the stanchion or drill the bolt heads off.

13. Are they prone to fractures also?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information