1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600ss To 750ss Head And Crank Change

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by allen, Oct 15, 2018.

1. so I want to give my bike a bit more kick... I understand that in theory one can put the 750ss crank and head into a 600ss bottom end. Add the downpipes and 750 carbs, or at least bigger jets, should give more or less the power of a 750.

But question is, is it really feasible? Does the crank really fit? Same bearings and so on? Do the heads with wider bores fit into the smaller crank case?

I know I could simply transplant a 750 but I'm looking into options in case the Swiss motor agency gives a headache. They much prefer a bike to be nearer original, but bigger bore or stroke is a known quantity to them.

Any help and advice... Or better still someone who tried it?

Is a 97 carb model.

Thanks

2. Just buy a 900...

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. I like this bike... And plan to customize it.

Call it a labor of love.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The 900 has more power and torque, better suspension, alloy swingarm, better brakes and a dry clutch - big advantages...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I know

Truth is this bike is one of the last things left from my life in the UK. I'm attached to it.

It's going to heavily customized too. I used to customise bikes as a youngster. Would be a sin to cut up a good 900!

I know of I just wanted power I best get the bigger bike. But this is For pleasure.

6. I hear you, plus I find it as much fun building and spannering as riding bikes.
    I dunno the answers but interested to find out! If you need carb parts I may be able to help, I have 5 different sets and sure ones from a 750.

7. Exactly.

Let's hope someone knows... Otherwise someday I'll just have to buy an engine and try it... Lol

8. Or a 750... the 750 is a very unique personality, closer to the 600 than the 900 in smoothness and revviness. The 750 is a giddy little thing and more fun than the grunty serious older sister. Just like with the 748/916 and 749/999 there is a charm to the midweight bike. :)

9. Sounds cute.. The 750.
    I actually think I prefer the smaller bikes but then again I've never ridden a 900.

10. I know where there is a spare 750 engine - it is apparently in very good condition - it certainly is externally.

The seller thinks it is a Monster engine because it is fuel injected - I don't think that is right. I think it is a SSIE.

Anyway - I won't buy it because there is no paperwork, so I can't be sure of where and what it comes from.

11. I had the carbed 750 but over time it became a 900 spec with a 750 engine - changed swingarm; forks; front wheel etc etc. It handled really well and was pretty damn quick.

12. I'd focus on the handling and sweet nature of the bike if I were you, get it breathing nicely and not sweat about the power. Getting the 750 engine parts might be better accomplished by adding a 750cc motor?

13. The 750 and 600 are basically the same engine as far as I am aware - check out relevant part numbers of both models.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. As in you suspect it might be nicked?
    If not how much is he asking?

15. Yeah adding the 750 motor as a whole is definitely my fallback position. I need to research how much headache that causes for the local vehicle registration office etc.

You are right though it is a sweet natured bike, lots of fun to chuck around the local mountain roads. Its not a tragedy if the engine doesnt get changed but is just fettled.

16. After a good few years of service it can't hurt to optimise what you have. Depending on mileage etc even re-lapping the valves and sharpening up the ignition, fuelling and drivetrain can make it all feel fresh again. Do you already have any Dynojet etc?

17. I believe so, seems to be the case...

The 350/400 SS models were produced to meet regulations under the prevailing driving license schemes in Japan (400 cc) and Italy (350 cc), where there were limits on maximum displacement allowed for probationary motorcyclists. The 600SS was introduced in 1994 as a midrange competitor for a growing market, and to provide a cheap way to spread the Ducati range. Visually, they are only slightly different from the other SS models.

Also known as the 400SS Junior, the models were based on the larger 750SS with which they shared a frame, engine and most other components. The most obvious differences were the 2-into-1 exhaust system on some versions (also used the 600) and the single-disc front brake. The 600SS had five gears instead of the six on the 350 and 400. The smaller engine capacity was achieved by sleeving down the larger 750SS engine. The models were available semi-faired or with a full fairing. As with the Ducati 750SS and 900SS, vents were provided in the cowl in the 1997 model to provide additional air to the rear cylinder, which was prone to overheating.

Thank you Wikipedia :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. I don't yet, no.
    I did wonder if the wider downpipes from a 750, i already have an open slip on, dynojet and some more open air filters would add a bit of oomph. Engine tuning is new to me. I have no idea if dynojets etc actually make much difference or if its a bit of a placebo.

the 750ss also has a slight longer stroke than the 600ss, hence I would need to change the crank as well as the top end, if I do try that route.

19. How do you know if you have Dynojet?

Longer stroke? Change the con rods, not the crank IMO - but check the part numbers to see if you are correct, because as far as I am aware the 750 is just a hogged out 600.

IIRC there is a difference of 3.5mm on the stroke - I don't think that equates to 150cc extra without bigger bores and a slightly different head.

20. The understanding I had was that the SS was a bit choked as standard to hit its emissions number, the Dynojet being the correction of this, restoring performance that *should* be there. It's just more performance oriented jetting for the carbs and complements increased air-in (filters) and air-out (exhaust) mods.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information