1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

620 Primary Drive

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Spjallen, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Evening all,

Got a little stuck so thought I’d ask you guys for tips and tricks please. I’m doing an engine refresh and got to the removal of the primary gear, last thing before I split the cases. I’ve never taken the bottom end this far so could do with advise how to remove it. Most say a puller but it’s a huge outlay for the Ducati primary drive puller, itro £150! How do you guys do it? I believe it’s a tapered shaft too. Deep Joy!

2. If you want to start rebuilding engines more frequently, probably best to invest in a good puller. The primary is (certainly should be !) very tight.
    A few options if that isn’t the case-
    - Hire a puller
    - Take the short engine to a local old school independent bike shop and they will probably do it there and then for a few quid
    - Befriend someone from here reasonably local to you who has one (maybe post in “wanted” section).

• Like Like x 1
  3. You can do it with a normal hydraulic puller but it is so tight that it can fly through the room(literally). Check the video out below.

My advice either rent proper ducati tool if you can or buy one. Both gear and case much more expensive than tool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Great video, really enjoyed watching it. Thanks the upload.

5. Well it’s off. What a pig. Buzzer, very kindly, lent me his tool. Even with that I struggled and went to a professional garage (good friend) and for the price of a walnut and coffee cake he got it off. Heat and shock loading seem to be the trick. Thanks for all the replies, I’ll split the cases now and draft my next thread.... !!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information