1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

696 Bars

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Chris Spooner, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Hi...

696 2010 - currently standard bars fitted. I want to put higher ride bars on, its been suggested that I use MX bars (100mm rise) your thoughts and experiences would be gratefully received please?

TiA

Chris - Aguilas, Southern Spain. - Ducati Monster 696 2010

2. Sorry...thought this was a pub-crawl thread....

I have standard bars on my M1100 so cannot advise you on alternatives.

3. You're welcome to come over and we can tour the bars :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I bought a CNC riser block for my 796 monster . It uses the original bars, just raises them up a bit .

cnc.jpg

cnc2.jpg

cnc3.jpg

5. How’s the increased bending moment on the bolts into the yoke in an emergency stop?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Agree - this bit's definitely not meant to be air!!
    IMG_20200308_161928.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Exactly.
    The original risers bear on the yoke directly so in a panic brake situation the overturning moment is reacted by compression on the yoke and tension in the bolts.
    In the case of the aftermarket risers, there is no ability to react that overturning moment apart from bending of the bolts.

8. Looks like the usual anti-vibe stuff going on as well there for the two yoke bolts, but agree; all the moments, stresses, etc change when one fits non-standard (& therefore non-designed for purpose by the bike designers/engineers) stuff...

9. I’d probably suggest going in smaller increments. I tend to use renthal superbike bars and have found the jump between ultra low and low to be quite significant. In fact the ‘low’ feels really high to me.

Sidebar, if the 696 bars, like the 695 ones have holes for locator tabs in your switchgear, a) don’t file the tabs off instead of drilling and b) be really careful to put the holes in the right places. Perforating your bars like a payslip won’t end well.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information