1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

696 Clutch issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by byrlord, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Hi everyone, I recently bought a 696 and I noticed that the clutch is slipping after of 20+ minutes of riding the bike.

I asked my garage and they said that because the bike has low miles (approx 9K) it is not common to need new plates and a change of oil could help.

Anyways I did change oil but I still experience the same.

Is changing the plates the only fix?
    Has anyone had similar problem before?

Thanks in advance !

2. If you changed the oil and the clutch started to slip after the oil change
    did you use the correct grade of oil ?

brian.

3. Hi Brian,

The garage changed the oil and they are a Ducati garage so I assume they know the correct grade.

One symptom I missed to mention is that the slipping also occurs when I pass over a bump or small street pothole !

Thanks

4. Find out what oil they used..............motul semi synthetic 5100 would be my recommendation. Fully synthetic and wet clutches not always a great idea.

5. Thanks, if it is not the oil is it possible for the slipping to be just because the clutch discs are worn ?

Every how many miles clutch plates are changed from your experience?

Thanks

6. Every bike will be different because every bike has a different rider. Clutch plate life can vary hugely. Measuring the stack height will give you an indication of wear, but, I have no idea of the stack height on APTC clutch.

7. Can I ask at what RPM the clutch starts to slip and what sort of riding you are doing? Mainly town work with lots of clutch use or open roads?

8. Thanks for your reply, when I start the bike and say leave to go somewhere the first 5-10 mins the clutch is fine. After that the clutch starts slipping at pretty much the following:

1. fast change of gear (bit aggressive obviously)
    2. on a gear (mostly 3-4th gear) full/release throtle
    3. driving over a pothole or small street bump

Any ideas what I could check before going for new clutch plates which are fairly expensive?

Thanks

9. Hi there
    I’m having exact same issues , did you find wot it was before I buy new plates ,also I’m using10w-40 shell advanced synthetic based , is this no good ?

10. I had this issue on my 600ss at one stage. Turned out to be a master cylinder adjustment issue, basically when the clutch was released it wasn't allowing fluid back into the reservoir and the fluid in the clutch line was heating up, expanding a little and applying some pressure to the clutch release causing a bit of slip. Can be adjusted with the wee screw on the lever but my master cylinder was completely knackered so had to be changed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Oh right maybe that’s a issue I have as my clutch bite shortens as the bike heats up and ends up very high and very difficult to pull away , can I buy a rebuild kit for the master? if so were from ?
    I also put wrong engine oil in , semi synthetic instead of fully synthetic ‍♂️ .

Thanks for reply

12. Ah could be a bit of a double issue then. No idea about rebuild kits, the bore of mine was corroded so bought new MC

13. I forgot to add I adjusted that screw all the way out.
    We’re did you get the master from ?

Thanks

14. does sound like the problem is m/cylinder related - if lever is already adjusted as far as possible then could be one of two things that come to mind. It could just be that cylinder is past it's best/needs new seal kit but it could also be a blocked/partially blocked fluid return port as symptoms are similar. Not sure on your exact m/c details but usually with reservoir removed you will be able to see one or two on horizontal face of cylinder, leading down to the piston bore and are usually around 0.6mm dia. A hairclip or small drill blank used carefully might bring relief.

15. It’s a 09 m696
    I bleed the system and fluid wasn’t to bad and it was squirting out the top wen bleeding , is there a seal kit I can purchase for a rebuild or are they all same sorter size ? new brembo master is way out of budget .

16. Ok thanks I’ll strip the master down and change the engine oil to correct oil and see we’re that gets me , I’ll post the results

Thanks for the help l

17. :) just checking, you don't mean engine oil do you?

18. Yeh engine oil but not in the master but in the engine , I’m running wrong oil in the engine aswel as maybe a master cylinder causing me clutch slip :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information