1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 748 916 996 998 Fuel Sender Unit ??

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by doogalman, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Is there any options for fuel sender units from other models or even other manufacturers that people have successfully used or modyified to work on the above series of bikes. Fed up of guessing how much is left in the tank and before anyone suggests buying a new one. I'm too tight to justify the expense LOL

• Like Like x 1
  2. WTF is a fuel sender unit?

3. The fuel level indicator.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Thanks!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Not really sure how the 916 series ones work but seems to be a rod or something inside that moves freely but doesn't seem to register when on low. Anyone ever ripped one apart to see whats inside?

6. Doesn't it just bring a light on??

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. So it's a fuel level indicator then, therefore fairly difficult, particularly for someone whose first language is not English and considering it doesn't actually send fuel. A bit of an oxymoron then? I'll leave you to look up your own 'cut out and keep' patronising definition!

8. They're notoriously shit/sticky/unreliable. I wouldn't bother.

9. There must be hundreds of used ones about, the large plastic nut is notorious for breaking, there isn't a Ducati replacement nut only after market ally one's so the whole unit tends to get replaced, to fit the ally nuts you need to remove the wiring plug, so they tend to get replaced with a complete unit leaving a good working unit only requiring a nut, if all that makes sense.
    This is of no help in your case though.
    Steve

10. I've been down the ally nut route before. Plus before that I used a nut off a trv as that is the same thread and works a treat.
    I can't believe the unit isn't used elsewhere that carries the ducati tax, will keep looking.

11. When i was looking the answer seemed to be a new pump assembly

12. Nelson, they can be bought separately, part number is 592.1.007.3B and they retail at £130+ FFS, the aftermarket nuts can be bought for £20-25. Mine got sticky and I dismantled the fuel pump assembly and cleaned it all as best I could, the sensor got a vigorous shake without it being removed from the base plate. Never had any issues since but time will tell

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. I may be way off on this but I seem to remember being told about 3 years back that there us a small hole that fills with petrol that stops the current. When fuel falls below the hole the circuit forms and fuel light comes on.

Sometimes a bit of crap can get in the hole and forms the circuit. In some cases you can clear it with a blast of air.

Or I may have dreamed the whole thing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I replaced mine ( 916,'94) with a second hand item from a 900SS. Works fine and even has a aluminium nut. Direct swap. Paid only 40 euros for it. These are said to be more reliable, according to my dealer.

IMG_5624.JPG

#16 Flying Dutchman, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Interesting comments will check out the hole thing when I next have the tank open.
    Also will look out for the 900ss option.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information