1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 748/916/996 Oil Cooler

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by West Cork Paul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. whilst my 748 is in several hundred bits having every corroded 20yr old nut/bolt replaced the thought occurred to me I could instal an oil cooler when I put it all back together again. (If I can remember what goes where :worried:). There are blanking plugs in the crankcase bottoms that would appear to be where the oil pipes would go it were a 748R or 916, so it should be simple to instal. I’d be grateful if any of you nice people out there could post some pics of your 916 (or 748R) oil cooler so I can see exactly how/where it’s connected please.
    TIA

2. Go for a 996 oil cooler mate, they use O rings to seal the pipes far better than the early types, plus your need new cam feed lines unless you go the race set up.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. 08E06AF0-C8E0-41F6-A1BB-00CDA222ADE0.jpeg 9FE2B195-A4B7-474F-9038-C07D316272A4.jpeg It just so happens my bike is in a million pieces! But the engine is away, so can’t reference on that. But the top fitting on the casing goes to the left hand fitting on the oil cooler, then the lower casing outlet goes on the right of the oil cooler. Don’t forget that there is also an oil line that goes from the oil cooler to a fitting on each of the heads

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Also, you will need the spring valve that fits under the oil filter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Yep, this one number 14 in the diagram.
    [​IMG]
    As cookster says, the feed lines too the heads are different also.
    [​IMG]
    It is a straight forward job once you have the bits.
    Steve

#5 Birdie, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. @RickyX it looks like that spring valve just sits between the oil filter & the sump? What operates it and what’s it for please?

Also @cookster @TelRobinson rhs is for the heads up about the extra lines to the cams. I’ll take a look later and see if the sockets for those pre-exist on mine and are simply blanked off as it appears are the crankcase ones :upyeah:

7. The lines to the head are a straight replacement for the ones that are on there now, it just connects to the oil cooler itself.
    The spring plate that fits between the filter and engine just reroutes the oil flow through the oil cooler pipes when fitted.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. On Tel's photograph the small diameter oil line is the one that goes to the heads.
    Steve

#8 Birdie, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Do you really need an oil cooler? Unless the bike is for track use, i'm not sure the cost is worth the benefit.

10. Thanks, so they’re not ‘extra’ just longer/different.
    Thanks for the knowledge about the spring plate :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. My 748R is on the bench so will get you some line layout pics in ten days. There is a 748 RS on ebay that has some decent engine pics.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Probably not, but whilst I’m in there and she’s all in bits I have had the thought about fitting one. Can’t see I’d be using her on the track, there’s only one here in Ireland AFAIK and once she’s back together in mint/as new condition I’d be afraid of dropping her.

13. Just looked at the RS on EB, thanks for the heads up.

14. Just an 853cc conversion with superficial stuff thrown at it at and at an outrageous price but that’s Jemspeed for you. Andy

15. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. hope the above pics help, my cam feed pipe go straight to the cams and bypass the oil cooler.

17. Presumably you have a union of some sort where the cooler pipes connect to the engine, if so will the original feed to the heads fit.
    Steve

18. Yeah normal place but no cam feed to the oil cooler

19. I was wondering that, thanks.
    man, is that a clean bike - he says with envy

20. It no longer exists I broke it and sold it in parts.

• WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information