1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/998 Tank Air Separator

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by bettes, Aug 29, 2019.

1. morning all

Should there be a constant stream of fuel coming out of the air separator in the tank? Only noticed this a few weeks ago and can’t be sure if it’s always done this. Part is No. 17 in diagram.

012DA444-865A-4120-866D-675DC259C4F0.png

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't know the answer to the question but am interested in it for future reference, but how on earth did you notice and observe that Ian?

3. Hi Paul. Because the fuel level at the time was lower then the separator, you could see it. I’d had the bike running for about 10 mins out in the sun and by chance lifted the fuel cap to check for pressure. Noticed it then and every time i’ve run the engine since it’s done the same.

Ian

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. I would venture to suggest the answer to your question is yes. How else would you separate any air bubbles in the fuel line if the means to do so was a closed loop ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Cheers Andy. Just confirmed by Lee from Moto Technical. It’s normal but most people won’t notice it unless you have a carbon or similar tank. The reason being the fuel cap aperture on the carbon tank is wider and more shallow so you can see the separator. You can’t with a steel tank cause the fuel cap hole is too small and deep.

Thanks, Ian

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. All useful to know, thanks Ian and Andy:upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Which part of the air seperator could you see the fuel coming out? (I've been wondering what that thing was - should've looked in the parts manual!). I ask because I've got a misfire on my 996 and I can see spray towards the front of the tank quite high up, as though coming from the right angled tube at the top of the seperator, but I've got a regular tank so cannot see clearly and couldn't lay my hands on a small mirror. Now I'm wondering if only air should come out, at that point, and the fuel go back down to the pump via tube 16 ?

8. Hi Pete. Yes, I was referring to that right angled bit. Fuel should be coming out of it.

cheers, Ian

9. I agree ....

Fuel from the return line to the tank ( still under some pressure ) enters the separator via pipe 19 , and any fuel with bubbles in it will rise up and exit at the top .
    The fuel without bubbles is returned directly ( via pipe 16 ) to the inside of the scavenger basket/filter .....
    ( underneath the fuel pump ..... marked as 20 on the diagram ) .

So I'd expect to see some fuel coming out from the top of that separator unit
    It's not the most advanced bit of engineering in the world , but I guess it get's the job done ..... :)

I tried to post the diagram of the tank itself , with the two thick tubes ,
    but I'm useless at adding photos etc.

#9 oldtech, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ah, thanks for explaining that Got a better idea of how it all works now. Or should.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information