1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/9xx Fuel Tank Seal

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by PeteW, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Been having trouble getting a good seal on my 996 tank after changing the fuel filter and have been staring at the arrangement, cursing a lot...I don't understand why the big O-ring is so far down the flange. It must end up right at the lower edge of the aperture in the tank. I think I'm getting a shit seal once the flange is tightened down against the tank. Stikes me that some washers between tank and flange will help. Anyone tried this?

#1 PeteW, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. Haven't tried it , I'd be afraid it would leak onto a hot engine and it would be bye bye 996 . It does the job where it goes so I'd leave it .

3. The O-ring should sit on the lip near the top of the tank flange spigot. Make sure it is properly in place and grease the tank aperture before fitting the flange. Tighten it evenly around the 3 screws making sure it goes in square and you should have no problem. Never try to re-use the old O-ring.

• Agree Agree x 1

4. I actually just did one by hand.
    It is a fecker of a job!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Derek, I assume you mean like this?

image.jpeg
    (Photo: Ducati John website)

This is where I fitted it. I don't think the [virtually] single-sided groove helps matters (and still reckon it is too far up, or the aperture is too shallow). I greased the tank, groove and O-ring with vaseline and tightened the screws in turn, keeping it all square, and it went in fine. But it didn't seal the first time - I was getting a few drips after adding enough fuel to test it. I started with a new O-ring but it's been in and out a few times now. I think it's ok though.

#5 PeteW, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  6. Yes, that correct.

7. I bought a new seal when I did the fuel filter.The new one got nipped,so the old un went back in.Sealed fine.:)

8. Thanks for the vid link Nelson. Shame he doesn't say "make sure the hose clamp screws don't scratch the face of the tank aperture when you're removing/fitting the flange"...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yup - easy to do!
    Worth taking your time as the bloody seals aren't cheap! I know @Birdie found a good source of then, but min order IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. You're spot on there @PeteW, I did these a few times on my 748, and did exactly that! It took a few new o-rings to work it out, then I sanded and polished the scratches out-took ages.

11. They fit a 999? I just paid £8.

12. Don't know the fitting on the 999 sorry, they are for the 748/916 series bikes, I get the quick release fuel fitting o rings from them also.
    Steve

Do Not Sell My Personal Information