1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Awakening

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by DD DucDave, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Hi all, just joined the Forum and just purchased my first Ducati.:yum

I hope I'm not throwing myself in at the deep end, but with a little bit of advise I'm hoping I'll be alright.

I've just got my hands on a 2000 748s which has been sitting for the last 4years. I need to know tips and advise on dusting off the 748's engine. The bike has done 9k miles and has had it's rockers done before it went into hibernation. At the least I will do a engine service and the cambelt,but how easy is it to do the belts and to tension up?

If anyone can send me some advice that would be great

Many thanks
    DD

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome mate, I know feck all about that particular Ducati, but sure someone will be along soon. :cool:

3. Welcome Dave. More knowledgeable people will be along soon.

4. Welcome - some youtube videos give you demos on belt changes

5. Hello and welcome into the mad house and it's red :D

Pics of bikes and bins are the law here we like pictures :)

6. Welcome, If your ok with the spanners then doing the belts is not to bad, look at the video's on you tube and take your time. Subscribe to the forum and get your Exact Fit belts at a discounted price from @Exige .
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hi everyone and thanks for your replies. Thanks for the video link. I'm ok with spanners and know how a engine works. But never tackled a bike cambelt,was worried how accessible they are and if you need the Ducati tensioning tool (decibel meter). Maybe @Exige knows?:thinkingface:

Also not sure what to do with the tyres as they have loads of tread,but as they have been stationary a while is it best to change them?

8. See my website for instructional video's. Use the Gates Carbon Drive App and a plug in mic to your smart phone. If using the best belts :innocent: then then tension to 99Hz nominal and not 110Hz which the ones that stretch more need o_O

• Useful Useful x 3
  9. You can use Carbondrive app to tension the belts with your mobile.
    There is the twist method and also the 5mm deflection between the cams. Plenty of info out there.
    Steve

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Erm... :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. I have marked your post useful but cannot mark my own - can you please do it for me o_O

• Like Like x 1
  12. Happy to please :innocent:

13. I'll mark your post for you..hth!

IMG_2993.JPG

Welcome OP good luck on your recommissioning

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. You sir, also get a useful :) :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Ok, so can @Exige supply me with the belts I need? And I guess good practice to replace the rollers?

16. I'll ask him, but I think so - and evidently if you become a forum Subscriber (only costing £5) you will get 15% discount off his other yummy stuff too - and if your even tighter and pay £15 you get a Halfords trade card too with more fab savings :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. pictures???

so all the usual stuff around fluids inc fork oil and seals...were shims checked when the rockers were last checked/replaced?

spark plug choice and gapping is critical too.. how old are the tyres?

pictures!!!

18. I'll upload some pictures as soon as I can, dust an'all.

Yep I'll check the date of the tyres. It's got Pirelli's fitted. Are they the best tyres to keep?

What's the best spark plugs NGK's

19. re tyres its more about their age but metz and diablo corsas have their fans in equal measure... 7 years is teh drop dead for tyres

re plugs yes ngk is the oe plug but im not sure re plug for the 748e (its an E right?)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information