1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Bike On Performance Deals

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Humbug, Apr 8, 2021.

1. I've been spammed a few times about this bike:

https://www.performancedeals.co.uk/product-page/ducati-748-free-draw-tickets

Looks quite nice, but a few things to bear in mind, after I emailed the company:

-Category N
    -VIN unable to be fully identified

Which means it can only be sold as a project or track bike.

Probably worth a punt at £9.99 for a ticket, but too risky for me; I'd want a bike registered for the road.

What do you people think?

Cheers,

Humbug

2. Might be worth a punt if you want parts or dare I say win it and break it.:)

3. For someone “in business since 2004”, their internet presence is miniscule. Given what you have found out, which is not obvious from their web site, if I was looking for a 748, I would be looking elsewhere. Andy

4. CAT N is non structural issues. If the damage has been repaired properly its nothing to be concerned about provided the purchase price reflects this. Doesn't look like much is wrong with the bike and at a tenner... Are you feeling lucky?

5. CAT N, raffled as "a project" is most definitely not IMO, worth £5k. There's usually only one winner in this sort of scenario and it isn't the person who wins the raffle. Andy

6. I agree I'd be hard pressed to pay £3500 for any 748 in average condition without a a CAT N damaged past. The person raffling the bike mat not sell all the tickets, and iis certainly not guaranteed to do so. I also have no idea how these raffles are enforced . Do the organisers of this type sometimes, often or never fail fail to come through with the prizes?

Then again the ticket is the price of a couple of pints. You don't feel lucky then?

7. You hear stories about raffle organisers not delivering, substituting a lower cash value ‘prize’ and all manner of nefarious excuses not to deliver. In this case, if anyone has the nouse of @Humbug and finds out the VIN is partially obscured, they’ll do a runner and the 499 ticket target is unlikely to be achieved. Not heard of any DVLA visits to track days in (pre pandemic) recent times but an obscured VIN will get the bike impounded. Feeling lucky ? I’d rather have the couple of pints thank you :D Andy

8. I've never had a vin number checked on any bike I've ever owned only by an MOT tester but thats a guess.

Enjoy your beers!

9. Back in the day (this century) I was at Brands when 5 riders lost their pride and joy on the day. Have to say, it is only Brands where I have actually seen DVLA inspectors. Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. I've never heard of this before. @Advikaz have you seen it happen much?

#10 Jez900ie, Apr 8, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  11. Assuming you did the £30 for 5 tickets. With circa 500 tickets you are getting roughly 99:1 odds on a bike worth maybe £3000 so a payout of 100:1.
    It looks like they give it away regardless of the number sold though unlike some, so if they only sell say 150 tickets (their last one sold 144) you are getting okay odds.

Presumably it was stolen recovered hence the vin issue. Frankly the carbon wrapped forks are the real crime here though.

Look at this from their last entry list, I knew he had fallen on hard times...
    upload_2021-4-9_11-51-0.png

Do Not Sell My Personal Information