1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Tappet Type Sound From Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pidge1969, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Hello

My 748 is making a metallic tapping sound (a bit like the tappet sound old cars used to make) its not mega loud but defo a metallic sound that goes in time with the engine can’t really hear it above 6k but my exhausts are noisy! If I pull the clutch in the sound is not there, so I reckon it must be engine. It’s riding beautifully with perfect performance just seems a tad odd. It’s been so long done I’ve ridden it I can’t remember whether it was always there! It’s my age! Any ideas? Values were done two years again and I’ve done not many miles since then. Is it normal for them to make a bit of a mettalicy tapping noise? Any ideas/advice/opinions greatfully received. It’s just had belts changed and was doing this before then.
    Thanks
    Mark

2. if you are certain that all the sound disappears when you pull the clutch in, then it's the clutch Pidge..

upload_2019-6-21_20-25-10.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Chris,That description sounds like the mechanical version of human crabs to me;)

4. Thanks Chris so is that normal then? I can’t remember if I’d heard it before.

5. If as you say, only with clutch released then "normal" :---)
    when new, then sound doesn't drown out engine quite as much but it doesn't take that long for the basket and friction plate tangs wear enough to produce that characteristic clacking sound, particularly if bike frequently left idling in neutral/clutch released. There is a crude mod that virtually removes this sound listed within this Forum - just search for "silent clutch mod".

6. Cheers for the info and advice Chris. All makes sense. It ‘taps’ in time with the engine as I accelerate i suppose I could try revving the engine with the clutch lever pulled in and see if it is there then. Just seems quite noisy when riding and as I said I can’t remember it being that noisy before! If it is normal that’s good. Is it worth having the clutch serviced bikes done 12k

7. I thought you meant only with bike stationary, clutch released or engaged in neutral. If you are including while moving then that’s a different matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yep it’s when I’m riding it a metallic tick/tapping sound in time with engine speed. If I coast with no revs and clutch lever in there is no sound so it must be engine/clutch/gears I suspect. Maybe they all do this, I don’t have anything to compare it to though as this is the only Duke I’ve owned.

9. I sent you a PM Pidge, see what others say but ideally I would say at this stage you would get someone reputable to have a listen or possibly a ride even. Distinguishing different sounds is almost impossible via the forum.

10. I’d remove the RHS fairing side and clutch cover and pressure plate/springs and take a look inside the clutch basket just to make sure all’s ok in there. If the bike’s been unused for a long while as you state (how long?) it may have corroded inside the clutch basket. This usually can be just cleaned out but it’s only a <30 minute job to check & make sure all is as it should be.

#10 West Cork Paul, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I prefer the word 'simple' to 'crude' ;)
    When the tangs are really worn, the clacking happens when in gear and riding along as well but only on a neutral throttle. It shouldn't happen when accelerating or slowing down.
    If it is worn tabs that are producing the noise you are worried about, you are hearing it now because it gets progressively worse with wear and the wear accelerates as the clearance between the tabs and basket slots gets larger.
    The quiet clutch mod damps the oscillation of the clutch plates, cutting both noise and wear and works even on plates with severely worn tabs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks Chris I’ve replied to your PM

13. Hi Paul not too sure what I’m looking for though re looking in the clutch.
    The bike has been inside a dry garage for a year, I did ride it briefly last summer but not that much. I had the valves and top end serviced three years ago and its not done many miles since then really. Am i looking for rusty clutch plates then? Thanks for your advice

14. Hi old rider, I’m sure the tapping is there on accelerating and slowing down. I’ll take it out again later to check. Thanks.

15. It would be louder than 'tapping', loud enough to be embarrassing.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. They all do that sir!

I am getting some stickers made for my bike with the above!

17. You’ll see straight away if it’s all rusted up or (hopefully not) there’s something amiss in there. A photo posted on here will solicit advice. Having checked the relatively obvious things then it’s as Chris says above, take it to your nearest Ducati service centre and get them to have a listen/ride. Better to be safe than sorry.

ps. What year is the bike?

• Like Like x 1
  18. I will take the clutch cover off and have a look. My bike is 2001 11.5k miles

19. Ok, so it’s the later model generator, just trying to exclude whether it could be the flywheel nut working loose which affected pre ‘99 models. You’re ok.

20. Thanks for the info. I’m going to try a record the sound when I’m out on it later.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information