1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748s Crankshaft

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Andrew Donaldson, May 23, 2019.

1. Hi All
    I am hoping that someone has a good usable crankshaft and or a good set of crankcases for a 748s 2001 model that they would like to sell.
    Thanks Andrew

#1 Andrew Donaldson, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. What's the story? FYI, crankcases and crankshaft are the same on all 748s regardless of model. I also believe they’re the same on 916s as well so you won’t need to search for those specifically off an S.

Might you not be better off getting a whole engine? Or would transport from EU to OZ be too much?

#2 West Cork Paul, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  3. Thanks for the reply Paul
    Yes you are correct from 1999-2002 I believe they were all the same 3 phase alternators.
    I might have to look at buying a complete engine postage will kill it for me. There never seems to be any good crankshafts around on eBay at a realistic price.
    I can get crankcases from the usa but there engine numbers are a different format and I am fussy and want to keep it original as I can. Australia is the same format as Europe
    My crankshaft timing gear keyway is flogged out badly
    and the crank cases have a few side cover bolt holes blown out due to the previous owner filling the holes with silicone and then screwing in the bolts causing the case to blow out.
    I purchased a real nugget.
    Hope to start a thread on the rebuild if I get some parts for it.
    Cheers: Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  4. They sound retrievable.

Have you thought of asking a toolmaker to weld and re spark erode the keyway. Expensive but so is a crank, might save time tho.

Why wouldn't helicoils work on the cases?

TB

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Have you tried Ducati for the crankshaft? I’d be wary of a used crankshaft. A whole used engine I’d consider if needs be but not a used crankshaft.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information