1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748s Performance

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by urto81, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Hi all,

Althought I've had tis bike for almost a decade, I have very little clue of its engine.. I know it's not a stock, and Ducati Verona told me it's closer to a 996cc, but that was all!

Now this is what I can see:

Cylinders Performance

[​IMG]

And here's the cylinder head with some writings and markings on it that mean nothing to me

[​IMG]

Last but not least the ECU, which doesn't really look like it's stock to me, althought I've only seen this one

[​IMG]

Anyone who can tell me what I'm riding? [emoji28]

2. A Ducati :smileys:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Looks like a stock P8 with gaffer tape over it. If the performance is noticeably better than a standard 748s, you could be looking at an 853 conversion. Not sure that sp, sps or R cams on their own qualify to make it "closer to a 996". Andy

4. Check the engine number to see if it's had an engine swap, if it is still the original 748 then if it's been altered it's more than likely had an 853 conversion as Andy says, it's unlikely to have a larger capacity than 853 as that would involve a crank change also.
    Steve

5. 853 would be my guess it its been messed with

6. It's a stock 1.6m ECU but you could peel the tape off, remove the bung and check what Eprom is fitted, may give a clue to what has been done to the motor.

7. Thd fact is that I've never ridden a standard 748, hence I wouldn't know..
    853 makss sense as the guy in Ducati Verona told me it was "almost a 900" ...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

8. Forgive my ignorance, but how do I check that?
    The bike has now been registered here, so there's no history on that..

9. Will do that next time I'll be fiddling in the cave!

10. Oh, also worth mentioning : she's oil cooled!!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

11. There was another big bore kit available but nowhere near as common as the 853 which took it up to 890cc, no longer available though.
    Steve

12. Check the number on the casings, it should start ZDM 748+++++++
    Steve

13. They all have oil cooler

14. ZDMH300 ... VIN nr

15. I was told the first oned didn't, prove to that is that the Ducati spare parts cat doesn't show it

16. ZDM 748 !!

17. I have two 748 engines ( one is an 853) both start with ZDM 748.
    Sorry can't help with yours but someone else might be along to help.
    Steve

18. Not sure how you can tell if 853 without stripping?

19. Checking the engine number wasn't started to verify whether it is an 853 more to see if the engine had been swapped for a larger one at some time.
    Steve

20. I got the, just generally, is there anything the OP can spot? Does it use bigger TBs or different ecu? Not had one so dont know.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information