1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748s Semi Senna Clear Coated...can It Be Restored?

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by tboooe, May 2, 2020.

1. Hi guys. So a friend of a friend has a 2002 Semi. Senna 748s with the grey paint for sale. It has 11k miles on it but hasn't been ridden in 4 years. Overall it looks in decent shape for a bike this old. My main issue is the original owner for some reason clear coated the entire bike so now its more of a semi gloss finish. My question is if the clear coat can be somehow polished away so the original matte finish can be resorted? If this is not possible is my only option to clear coat it again with a matte finish? The problem is I don't know how matte the original finish is so I won't be able to match it. Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

#1 tboooe, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Nope. If you could manage to remove the aftermarket clearcoat without breaking through the original matt clearcoat, which is very doubtful, you can't polish matt clearcoat.

I suspect the original owner may have had some scratches and learned the hard way about maintaining matt clearcoat, hence going down the usual gloss route.

3. A bodyshop should be able to Scottish em down & matte lacquer them no problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. That's what I figured. Ok. I will have to add that to my list of reasons to talk him down a bit.

5. To try and remove one coat of clearcoat over the top of another, when you don't know how much is on there, it'll not be a uniform cover and to avoid all the edges. You must have a magic wand Paul.

It's a pita, genuinely.

We paint it as OEM and when usually when you have a paint inclusion, you can flatten and polish it out. You can't do this with matte clear. I've been to a Japanese plant where matt clearcoat is an option on the GT-R. You get 3 goes at it because you can't repair it. If it's no good after 3 attempts, the car goes in the bin.

Key them and re-apply the matt clear if you like, I can't see the result being fantastic. If you want my advice. Forget trying to save this. Have it taken back, re painted basecoat and matt clearcoat.

Good luck.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. I work in a prestige bodyshop & seen it done a good few times, wether its as good as matte laquer from the off i dont know BUT my boss has an Aerial Atom, and all the gloss black parts, he just had them scotched down & matte laquered, Looked very good indeed.

F97A81D8-E24C-4ACC-945C-E537C6A224FD.jpeg

7801869E-AE1A-4B49-8362-5D8A435E40A7.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. I'm going off the fact that it's been painted already and the prep will be a pain.

Hey, you can re-apply matt clear after keying it, but from the sounds of what it's going on top of it doesn't sound like the best of starts. If he can get the prep done to a decent standard without breaking through to the basecoat, it will probably look OK.

He initally wanted to try and remove the 2nd coat of clearcoat to restore the original matt finish, which is why I said no.

9. Yeah this is my concern too. Repainting the whole bike won't be cheap and probably more effort and money than I wanted to put into this 748s. I may be better off trying to find another one for sale with the OEM finish intact.

10. See above.

It can be done, but you can't remove the 2nd coat of clarcoat and restore the original finish. It will need to see a spray gun with all the issues that applying matt clear brings.

Reading Paul's replies. There are two different scenarios being talked about, I think. Removing the 2nd coat of clear and repainting. Both very different.

Like I say. Good luck with it if you buy it. :upyeah:

11. Agreed, it all depends on the workmanship of the clear-coat thats been applied, if its a good even standard then a Scottish & matte clearcoat will probably be ok.

Also for 100% the best results is to take them right back as you say & base them & matte laquer, but then you will need decals & cost will be a lot higher to do this process.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. i think if the only issue is that its been cleared in satin over matt then there should be no reason a competent painter couldnt key in and re-clear in matt.
    if however, it has scratches/imperfections in the base color it may well be a bit of a prob.

13. The paintwork needs looking at first by somebody in the trade to tell you what can & cant be achieved in its current state that way you can make a better decision about its purchase.

Its all down to the penny's at the end of the day.........

14. Yep, it's the 2nd coat of clear that's in my head. It could be a rattle can or a pro job, but "Semi-gloss" doesn't really point to a great job. Hopefully it's OK and has just clouded, so it can be painted quite easily.

15. I understand what you are saying and like me your probably picturing a rattle can patchy, dry, peel kinda job aren't you?

Problem is, theres always them type of people that think its just a case of point and spray :weary_face:

its all in the prep...........

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thank you for the replies everyone. Yeah I am going to have to take a closer look at the second clear coat. The bike was super dusty and dirty after having not been ridden in 4 years. I wouldn't have even noticed the semi gloss finish if the owner hadn't mentioned it to me. I am grateful for his honesty. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tbooe, are sure it is not the original finish as the titanium grey 748Ss were not flat matt (nor were they Sennas), they were semi matt and at the time the bodywork was clear coated quite thick on the red and yellow bikes from the factory. The grey ones had a slight sheen same as the ST2/4 grey options of the time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Rub it down with a Scottish pad and use Matt lacquer it should be ok even do the bottom side panel and see how it turns out. Are the decals lacquered over . Any pictures of the bike. This is my one I’ve owned from new , 2004 .

19. 231774F5-AF1D-4230-A43B-E0C7ACB03636.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information