1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

999 749 / 999 Modifications - What Did You Do ?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Dubs, Aug 12, 2015.

1. I started one of these threads ( 848 / 1098 Modifications - what did you do ? | Ducati Forum ) when I have the 848 ( and I never updated it while others did ) or when I had the 1098s.

Im not sure if there is a similar thread here for the 749 & 999...

Id be interested to see what mods ppl have done, what difference the mods have made to you etc.

Pics are always good too !

Here's a barn find 749s I just picked up couple of days ago, looks ok but dog rough...

72.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Black pillion seat ... hmmm ... I might like that. I have a damaged spare which needs recovering, so there's an idea! :upyeah:

3. I found the 'Section 8' set up (Google it) a great starting point for geometry compared to the stock set up. Thoroughly recommend trying it for sports type riding.

Adjustable rear sets plus Apex adjustable clip ons means you can have a bike that's fit for road or track after a few quick adjustments.

#3 Air Duck, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Suspension set up is the best mod

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Bought a s/h bi p ( from forum member ) which came with a black seat ,,,, when i bought the bike it came with a full termi and open clutch cover,,, so thats the first three mods taken care of !(!!!!
    Have since removed the mirrors / fr indicatcators ( although aesthetically pleasing is not recmended ) and put red band on the wheels ( dont know if they count as mods ! )

#5 cherod, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  6. Im already on top of the suspension mod.... I am planning to us ktech front springs and will get the forks serviced while Im at it. Also rear shock spring too. Id be 110% sure the oil in the forks is there since 2003, thats a lonnnng time.

plastics are ok on the bike but the underneath...its awful

Id like to do the monoposto conversion but looks insanely pricey. So not worth it.

#6 Dubs, Aug 12, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Mono P maybe v expensive but it is abig weight saving if that is important to you ,,,,,,

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Brembo M4 Monobloc calipers with titanium bolts
    -Fren Tubo Carbotech brake lines from 1098
    -999F06 Brembo narrowband full floating rotors 320x6mm with 5mm spacers and titanium bolts
    -ABM Synto levers
    -Oberon reservoir covers
    -Gilles Tooling chain adjusters with titanium bolts
    -titanium front and rear axle nuts
    -Supersprox 520 conversion with titanium sprocket nuts
    -DP billet steering damper bracket with titanium bolts
    -DP forged Marchesini wheels, repainted and with new decals and tires
    -RCM Racing 999RS replica rearsets with titanium bolts
    -aluminium swingarm bobbins with titanium bolts
    -original blue Öhlins decals removed all around, replaced with black decals
    -full 57mm Termignoni system with titanium mounting bolts, slightly polished
    -Pipercross filters
    -oversized carbon air runners by MS Production
    -DP ECU
    -Shorai lithium battery
    -TSS slipper clutch with titanium pressure plate bolts
    -EVR 48t basket
    -Oberon clutch slave, new version pushrod with titanium pin
    -Samco hoses
    -DP magnesium valve cover (on vertical cylinder only for now)
    -Ducati Corse 999RS04 sandcast, vented and numbered clutch casing with titanium bolts
    -999R 2003 full carbon tail with carbon seat pad cover
    -DP magnesium headlight housing
    -DP magnesium mirror brackets
    -DP carbon silencer cover, vented with black mesh and new decals
    -DP carbon air runner covers
    -DP carbon front fender with titanium bolts
    -DP short carbon hugger with titanium bolts
    -DP carbon mirror covers
    -DP carbon/billet tank cap
    -DP carbon V piece with titanium bolts
    -DP vented carbon belt covers with titanium bolts
    -DP carbon tail tidy with titanium bolts
    -DP carbon clutch cover with titanium bolts
    -DP titanium front sprocket cover with titanium bolts
    -DP windshield without parking light, with titanium bolts
    -DP billet preload adjusters
    -MS Production carbon tail light heat protector
    -carbon swingarm protectors
    -carbon ignition switch protector with titanium nuts
    -carbon tank front & rear protectors
    -carbon seat side pieces
    -carbon rear brake m/c cover with titanium bolts
    -more titanium bolts around the bike, about 180 in total
    -Motion Pro coolant recovery tank
    -horn moved from belt cover to under the headlight
    -front fairing vent meshes painted black

:Kiss:

• Like Like x 10

9. Holy fooook !

thats a bike and a half !!

:cool::cool::cool:

:upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  10. My 05 base 999 bip came with asymetric termi, DP hugger and pretty clutch, and was an absolute bargain in Oct 07 just as 1098 came out with 4200 miles on it. My best mod is cyclecat clipons that are about 20mm higher, and really improve comfort on long rides and also help with room for tankbag. I do have to keep my hands to the outside of the grips on full lock to clear the fairing but I do that by instinct now.
    Over the 8 years Ive owned the bike Ive repaced most of the plastic with carbon inc DP vented belt covers, heel guards and fairing infills.
    I got an ohlins damper cheap so thats nice to see from the riding position along with the carbon fairing supports. Gilles rear wheel adjusters make life easy. Carbon q.r fuel cap to replace the ford cortina std item and DP screen minus nipple. Chinese fold up levers that are changing colour from black to bronze. Grippy seat covers with italian flag, black frame plug kit, tail tidy/small plate. I replaced all fairing and screen screws with black. I got a damaged nose cone and had the top headlight filled in and respayed with a corse stripe on mudguard, nose tank and seat panels to give it a bit of a sporty look. Last year I got DP filters and ecu flash to suit. I want to get the footrests anodised black then I think its finished. Over the years Ive spent about a grand on bling, every bit from ebay. image.jpg

#10 900streetfighter, Aug 12, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I have been continually dropping weight of the bike, the loss of the headlight bucket and headlight themselves replaced by SES brace and mini projector light. A new seat unit made a difference at the rear. Still have the battery tray and airbox mod to do. I have the usual corse items like runners and such, and titanium bolts/filler cap/windscreen/engine protection but some things you have to do yourself!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

#11 Chris.King1, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. @Chris.King1 do you have any photos of how you connected that projector to the frame please?

13. I like the rear sets, any tips on a source for them?

14. I like the rear sets, any tips on a source for them?

• Like Like x 1
  15. [​IMG][​IMG]

Mods so far-
    749r tank with Dp tank filler
    Dp quickshifter ( looking to change soon)
    57 system
    Stm Evo clutch
    Ecu reflash -147 bhp and runs a lot smoother
    Dymag carbon wheels and braking discs
    Set of carbon air tubes waiting to be fitted
    Renthal sprockets 15/39

16. He's also on this forum if you didn't know?

17. thanks Air Duck, I did a search but didn't find his username djcalix91

18. I actually mounted the projector to the inside of the nose by making 2 brackets from carbon and it simply screws in to the brackets. Hardest part was making sure the projector was sat at the right angle to pass MOT. The Magnesium headlight bucket I had was a joke, hardly lighter than stock unit, so changed that out to my current set up.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information