1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749 Fork And Caliper Conversion

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Battleshipgrey, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Evening all
    So i'm just after a bit of help deciding which radial caliper to go for whilst converting my 749 forks to radial types..The 2 that i am looking at are either the M4 or the M50s..is there a huge difference apart from price between the 2. I know i have to buy the correct m/c to match the 2 so i want to get this right and not be thinking afterwards after shelling out for it all..i should have gone for the others...the bike does need a bit of tlc in other departments..( fairings etc) so i haven't got a never ending budget..
    The bike is mainly used on the roads although i do fancy a couple of track days but i do want a set of brakes that only need a couple of fingers to lift the back end..
    Thanks in advance..

2. The first M4s appeared in 2008 on the 1098R, the M50s first appeared in 2011 on the 1199. As Sev has pointed out, the M4 would look more period and there is absolutely nothing wrong with their performance, the 2012 Diavel had them as standard. Matching brake master cylinder to caliper is essential for the correct feel at the lever. IMO, the M4 will give you ample braking power. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Even cheaper than M4’s would be P4 radials as fitted to 749R and 999R and S. Also fitted to RSV and Tuonos.
    Got them on my 749R trackbike and only ever need one finger when braking.

4. M4 is the better way to go.
    Look for diavel calipers, as there are fitted there and dont command the superbike tax.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. P4 are expensive for pad replacement as there is 4 pads per caliper..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I totally agree with that however since my bike broke down at a number of Trackdays this year it has been great for pad wear!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Thanks @Sev
    Both are good calipers but I'd go with gp4rs calipers there's an upgraded version to the m4 , light weight and good value for money, I've got them on my gsxr track bike with zo4 pads and couldn't wish for better brakes.
    20200923_170607.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for all the replies guys..i was origionally thinking M50s with brembo 17 rcs but i think after the comments the M4s are just as good, probably a bit cheaper and a bit more available on evil bay.. although if some 50s were to pop up i would deffo have a look..i cant really stretch to the gp4s as i am need of some fairings...and some other bits..will keep you all informed with the progress and thanks again

9. M4 calipers, Brembo supersport discs, Brembo RCS and Bendix (SBS) pads are a great combination.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Hello again everyone,,so I’m after a bit/lot of help with this project and am hoping someone who has previously done something similar to this can give me some pointers..so I managed to buy a pair of M50 calipers and am about to order a Brembo Rcs 17 master cylinder..so far so good..the problem I'm having is how to measure and order the new brake lines that I will need.So I presume with the new forks and calipers fitted I need to measure down from the mc to each caliper (2 line set up from mc) with a piece of string to get each individual length,,so I get that bit but how do you go about working out what angle banjo I need for each end of the line?. At the mc I think I will need two 90 degree banjos but what about the caliper ends?. Is there a guide anywhere I use as to the different type of banjo I need. I obviously don’t want to have to order the lines and find out I have chosen the wrong fittings for the ends..
    Also regarding the forks, the radial ones being fitted are off an 848 and I think are shorter than the standard 749 ones so do I measure from the axle up to the top of the top yoke-to get the initial height then repeat on the radial forks once fitted to ensure the ride height stays the same? I understand that I can’t just go off the number of rings showing above the yoke due to the difference in fork lengths.
    So I think that’s it for now,, please try to keep the sniggering down to a minimum..and reading this is better than watching Boris waffle his waffle.. thanks again everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I did similar to what you are doing on my 998S a couple of years back, using an rcs master and M4 monoblocs. I’d definitely go with Hel brake lines as they were really helpful when sorting it all out. They even sent me a length of brake hose off cut so I could route it how I wanted and give them the sizes. They got all the fixings on and I got them a couple of days later.

12. M50’s on a 749 are going to be stop-tastic!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nothing wrong with the originals. Better to spend money on some Forged or carbon wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information